Drilling problem !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipes

Ok now this has only happened to 1 pen the one I did today ! I had enough excess to fix it and it worked ! OK here is the problem I had a perfect entry hole and the EXIT hole in the blank of a Baron the large one for the top oval shaped on exit maybe like 1/32 or less but you could see it a little just enough so I had to do a little extra work on the blank and

enough so I could see it right away ,, the large bit !! never done it on the other bit for the bottom anyone care to offer an opinon on what caused this I would not want it to become a PITA all the time thing !! and its a almost NEW bit !! drilled maybe 6 blanks with it ....
I hope Iam clear enough for you guys to understand what I mean !
Thanks in advance for the help on this .... My wife said just say the exit hole on the top blank when drilled came out a bit oval and I have no clue as to why !!!

http://affordablepipes.com/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Possible causes I can think of.

a. Table not perpendicular with the drill or vise not parallel to the drill.
b. Drill bit was not properly held by the chuck (wobbles).

Pipes

I thought about what Dario said it didn't seem to be any a those 2 things...The drift because of a change in density would make sense darios would if I hadn't checked those !! The density thing I don't think there is much any of us can do anything about ! and would cause it ..I never thought of that one [:I]makes sense .being that it never happened to the next 3 blanks I drilled after that !
But this piece a crap PSI vise could cause about anything IMO [V]

Thanks guys

woodbutcher

Is your table tightened properly. Had the same problem a while back. Just got lazy. On smaller pens the table and pen vise were secure. The larger diameter required more pressure to control the additional torque. Also check your pen vise. Be sure it is properly adjusted. Of course if you have one of Paul's vises that will NOT be the problem,
Jim[:)]

Pipes

Originally posted by woodbutcher
<br />Is your table tightened properly. Had the same problem a while back. Just got lazy. On smaller pens the table and pen vise were secure. The larger diameter required more pressure to control the additional torque. Also check your pen vise. Be sure it is properly adjusted. Of course if you have one of Paul's vises that will NOT be the problem,
Jim[:)]

All the above has been checked and I have one a Pauls vises on order :O) !! I think it was caUSED BY THE PIECE A CRAP psi VISE !! THATS MY STORY AND IAM STICKING TO IT lol

Rifleman1776

Table tightened was my first thought too. I have had it happen after adjusting height then forgetting to tighten the table to the column. What kind of bits were you using? I like brad points. Others swear by (some at) split points. I believe brad points wander less than others. But, admittedly, this is one of those 'food fight' issues.

Pipes

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Is pipes drilling plastic???

If the walls are thin, it shatters on drill-bit exit.

Ok I was drilling plastic and I don't like brad points :O) !! But this size I have only in a brad point so I was using a brad point bit !!! I love the reg drill bits AZ sells !!! I have no idea what caused it could a just been the PSI piece a crap vise ! It truly is a mystery to me I was just glad it was NOT a problem with the next set a blanks I drilled !! And has not reared it ugly head sense [:I]
I agree It was most likely somthing I did wrong !! I just wish I knew what [B)]

Thanks for all the tips guys

Hi Pipes,
Got a sugestoin for those that are makeing the Baron. Cut your blank about 1/4" long and when you drill DO NOT exit the blank,drill to about 1/8" from end, then cut to size and the hole will be there.
One other thing that may have caused it to do that is too much presuer on the drill. Hope this helps some one.
Just Charlie & Betsy

Pipes

I brought this back to the top ! Because I really figure out what caused it ! I didn't have the bit tight in the chuck !! so it happened again today and I checked everthing aND WA LA i FOUND THE LOSE BIT i HAD NOT GAVE IT A GOOD CRANK DOWN AND IT WOBBLED !! dumb i KNOW bUT THAT WAS THE PROBLEM iAM SURE !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom