Drilling Problem-"Walmart" pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocRon

Hey Folks

Have a question about drilling blanks. I have only so far done slimline pens, usually on my benchtop Delta drill press, sometimes "by hand" with a drill guide, occasionally on the lathe. The drill press does not have quite enough travel on the quill to go all the way thru the blank, so I have to raise the table, insert the drill partway into the blank, then put a block of wood under it and continue. This sometimes gives a problem with clearing chips, but can be handled with care. Today, however, I attempted my first "walmart" pen, which required drilling thru a 4" long blank. I used a piece of bocote, a somewhat waxy wood, which does not clear the chips very well. First problem- the brad point drill bit was just exactly 4" long - Hmmm. After drilling for a while on the lathe, having trouble with the chips, etc, I moved to the drill press. By chucking the bit in the last 1/8 inch, I was able to get far enough into it that when I trimmed to length, the hole appeared. However, the repeated insertion of the bit caused the entrance hole to go oversized, so that when I put it on the mandrel, the bushing on that end pushed in so far that the larger diameter section entered the hole and split the wood.
Apologies for all the background, but my questions finally are these; 1. What is your preferred method for drilling these longer blanks, and 2, Are there longer drill bits available for us pen turners, and where do I get them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

splinter99

I drill there all the way on the lathe, stopping every 1/2 inch or so to remove the chips..I use a 3/8brad point that came in a set from HFT for $7.99..the bit is at least 4 1/2 inches..on really oily woods the chips cake up so I just flick them off with a razor knife.hopes this helps

Randy_

Originally posted by DocRon
<br />.....travel on the quill to go all the way thru the blank, so I have to raise the table.....

Ron: Rather than raising the table, it is a lot less trouble to just slip a piece of scrap wood under the blank. I use a couple pieces of 1/2" plywood.

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by DocRon
<br />.....travel on the quill to go all the way thru the blank, so I have to raise the table.....

Ron: Rather than raising the table, it is a lot less trouble to just slip a piece of scrap wood under the blank. I use a couple pieces of 1/2" plywood.

If you hold the blank tight against the scrap plywood it will help prevent blowout when the drill exits the blank.[:)]

DocRon

Geo in Winnepeg -- I misspoke myself - I do put blocks under rather than raising the table.

Splinter -- I' will look into the HF set
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom