Drilling and polishing acrylic rod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Key

How is everyone drilling and polishing the inside of their acrylic pen blanks?

Steps taken so far:

1. Prepare a new gripping section.
2. Drill and polish inside of blank.
3. Test fit and decide final shape of pen.

clear.jpg

Chuckie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I don't polish the INSIDE of my PR/acrylic blanks. I polish the outside, but not the inside. I leave the inside rough, so the glue has somewhere to attach.

btboone

If you are drilling to get as clear a finish on the hole as possible, I usually predrill with a smaller drill first and use lots of coolant. Use a flood of coolant if possible. Drilling the majority of the material out first removes the cause of the bulk of the heat, which will affect the surface. I go back in with a drill or ream maybe a 1/16" or 1/32" larger than the first and clean out the hole. If done with sharp tools, the hole may not need any cleanup.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I don't polish the INSIDE of my PR/acrylic blanks. I polish the outside, but not the inside. I leave the inside rough, so the glue has somewhere to attach.

That works great if using tubes and glue and can not see throught the blank. Not using either on this one and the blank is clear.

driften

I have been thinking about that some in the past also. There is a market for clear fountain pens. I have made a couple of tubeless pens and felt they would look better with the insides polished.... I guess I will try Bruce's idea next time. Otherwise I was thinking drill small and try and use some sort of shaft with sanding grit on it to sand and polish the inside.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Hmmmm.....sounds like an interesting one.....post a pic soon.

Here is a scan of the final pen. I used an <s>old</s> oil type bath when drilling and buffed with micro mesh attached to a small rod.

clear1.jpg

Chuckie

Edited - See Text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom