Drilling pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cjswoodcrafts

hey all, i bought this pen jig from wood crafts, made the trip to Chattanooga last week, got it all squared, and even, when i put in the first blank and i drill thru half way, cause my drill press only has a 2 inch travel, then when i flip it over, or when i raise the side already drilled to finish it, it is still going off center . i have tried everything i know of, and at a lost. i am ruining more blanks then making. thinking oh this might do well, only to find it chips off half way thru... helpppp thanks
well i thought i still have the pic of the drilling jig, but i dont, but its the one for about 50 at wood craft stores

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

termitepenman

I suggest that if your drill press only has 2" of travel that you consider drilling your blanks on your lathe. It is extremely difficult to get good centering when you flip the blank in the jig.

Dennis
Sacramento, CA

Dump the drill press, I have been drilling on my lathe for over 10 years, dead centre every time, recently bought the two jaw pen chuck from PSI, it's dead simple..... My drill press has not seen a pen blank since 1999!!

Canadian_Kid

If you don't want to drill on your lathe then do as you have on the drill press but instead of turning the blank over and starting from the other side, just finish the hole with a hand drill. You should get a nice hole with a hand drill after it is started 2" with a drill press.

Lenny

Assuming your drill press table is level and locked down tight .... try this ...

Your drill bit is probably plenty long and it's the fact that you only have 2" of travel that's the problem so .... Place the drill far up into the chuck.... Center the blank in the vice and clamp everything off with the bit just clearing the blank.... drill as far as you can backing out often to clear the chips ... when you have drilled as far as you can let the quill return and shut off the power .... Now with the power off return the bit into the hole half way or so and lock the quill.... now lossen the chuck and carefully release the quill allowing more of the bit to come down in the chuck... re-tighten and drill the rest of the way.
Make sure you are using a sharp and straight bit... just cause it's new doesn't mean it's sharp OR straight. DAMHIKT
HTH

cjswoodcrafts

i agree, with yall about the drilling on the lathe, but i took parts to the woodcrafts store in chattanooga, but they didnt have any that fitted. cause my head stock measures 18 x 2.5 which i had the owner of woodenpost.com to make the part. tail stock is morse 1 taper, the lathe i have is according to the box it came in is a c.m.t 40 inch industrial wood lathe.. here is the description i got from the ebay listing where i bought it....
i bought a cheapo, now i wished i wouldve spent the $$$$ on a jet, or a better brand

.Construction - Headstock, tailstock, foot, tool rest base and tool rest of heavy cast iron. Bed is of heavy steel tubing.

Headstock . The outboard end of the drive spindle can also be used for large turning and is threaded 5/8" 16 left hand. The pulley system and motor are mounted to the headstock.

Tailstock - Slides along the full length of bed and clamps positively at any distance from drive spindle. The ram has a hand wheel advance of 2 3/8 inches with positive lock and is fitted with a No. 1 Morse taper

120 Volt

Frequency - 60 Hz

Maximum Length Of Cutting Feed - 40 inch (1000 mm)

Max. Diameter - 14-1/4" (365 mm)

Height Of Cutting Tool - 7" (178 mm)

Motor Power - Single Phase 350 Watts

Spindle speed - 4 speeds

Turning Capacity - 356mm (14 inches) max diameter over bed. 1000mm (40 inches) max between centers

Pulley system - 4 speed V belt

Spindle speeds - 1100, 1600, 2300, 3400 rpm

Motor - 350W, 1400 rpm, AC 110V, 50/60 Hz

pics... attached

Attachments

• 012_800x533.jpg
    012_800x533.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 011_800x533.jpg
    011_800x533.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 87

cjswoodcrafts

A few thoughts:
Is the drill press table square?
If you have the same vise I have, I slip a shim under the jaw closest to the clamp knob. Are your drill bits sharp?
as far as i know its squared, i used a level to get it even all areas, but somethings gotta give, i enjoy making pens, and i have a craft fair to go to in may, so i gotta do something.... thanks

cjswoodcrafts

Assuming your drill press table is level and locked down tight .... try this ...

Your drill bit is probably plenty long and it's the fact that you only have 2" of travel that's the problem so .... Place the drill far up into the chuck.... Center the blank in the vice and clamp everything off with the bit just clearing the blank.... drill as far as you can backing out often to clear the chips ... when you have drilled as far as you can let the quill return and shut off the power .... Now with the power off return the bit into the hole half way or so and lock the quill.... now lossen the chuck and carefully release the quill allowing more of the bit to come down in the chuck... re-tighten and drill the rest of the way.
Make sure you are using a sharp and straight bit... just cause it's new doesn't mean it's sharp OR straight. DAMHIKT
HTH
Lenny, yeah my wife and I tried putting the bit all the way in the chuck, lowered it, etc, the drill bit is sharp, i have 3 brad point 7 mm bits, 2 i got from pennstate.com and the other one came from woodenpost.com when he made the adapter for the mandrel to fit the headstock

sptfr43

When I was using a cheap Ryobi drill press I noticed that when I would drill the table was so weak it would flex causing my hole to be off center on the exit end. Upgraded my dp and problem solved

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Just drill as far as the travel allows, slide a 2x4 under and continue.
Back to this, I've nothing but a small bench press and I have been doing it this way for years. Not as nice as a 4" travel press would be but a heck of a lot cheaper.

chris63

I use drill press , trick is not to flip blank , if blank off .010 when you flip it double or compounds the problem so 010 becomes .020 which is to much.. surely your table will adjust or go up and down

pensmyth

My drill press is in therapy now because I refuse to use it anymore. I purchased the two jaw blank drilling setup for PSI for my barracuda chuck. and I've been centered and happy ever since......

Dana Fish

HTH

This is my method. Works good as long as your drill bit is sharp and straight.

Top Bottom