Drilling pen blanks - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Drilling pen blanks

This is my drilling setup with a Wilton machinist's vise (from Lowe's) on the drill press table. I secured it with bolts and washers. I can move it by loosening the bolts and rotating the drill press table. Drilling consists of squaring the blank to the side of the drill bit. I also use it for milling the ends- carefully and slowly advancing the pen mill until the brass tube shows. I put the mill in the chuck and put the blank on the pilot shaft and secure the blank in the vise. The table was a bit out of level so I shimmed it up in the front with two washers. Nothing fancy but it works for me. Thought I would share this. Remember, one good turn deserves another.
Attached Thumbnails
img_20171118_060456492_hdr.jpg  
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I use the same basic setup. I have the rockler jig bolted to the table. I have it secured with wing nuts just tight enough that I can bump it a little to line up the drill bit. I used to use the jig for barrel trimming but now after my blanks are dried, I cut down the ends using my bandsaw to get as close to the tube ends as possible. I then put the barrel trimmer in the drill press and just hand hold the blank to trim the edges. Works great if you keep your barrel trimmer nice and sharp. Plus less damage to tubes if it's not perfectly lined up.
Attached Thumbnails
drill-press.jpg  
bsshog40 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Bobby, I do use the bandsaw to cut excessive wood off the blank then put it on the pen mill. My wife can't figure out why we take a 3/4x3/4 blank and turn off 2/3 of it to land on the floor. This is when I was making a bunch of Slim Line pens.
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
Bobby, I do use the bandsaw to cut excessive wood off the blank then put it on the pen mill. My wife can't figure out why we take a 3/4x3/4 blank and turn off 2/3 of it to land on the floor. This is when I was making a bunch of Slim Line pens.
Lol, I hear ya! I use a credit card diamond sharpener to keep the edges of my barrel facing tool nice and sharp. No having to try to square it up in the vise. Put it in the drill press and just trim it by hand. If your facing tool is nice and sharp, it will trim very nicely. I've done some easier kits but I still enjoy doing the slimlines over any others.
bsshog40 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads