Drilling on the Lathe - Quick Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

After much discussion and encouragement I have begun doing my penturning drilling on the lathe. It was the BEST decision I have made. I do have a quick question, however. When drilling acrylics (for example, a 3" blank for a razor handle) am I better off cutting the blank to size first or drilling in the 3" and, then, cutting the end off? The lathe drilling does seem to eliminate most of my previous 'blow-out' problems. I do thank the many people who have encouraged me, and others, to move to this method. It works GREAT!

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotirish

Good morning Dan.
I drill on the lathe as well with a drill press. When I drill acrylic I add a small amount of length so if there is a break out as the drill exits the blank it is past the end of the tube. :biggrin::biggrin: Better safe than sorry.
Ron

micharms

I have recently changed to adding extra length and drilling to the depth I need and cutting it off. I was having good success just cutting to length and drilling but just blew out a couple of really nice blanks so figured it was better to change.

Michael

Rangertrek

I drill on the lathe also. I add a little bit of length to the blank in case of a problem. I don't usually have any blow out issues. I mark the drill bit with a marker for the length of the tube, near the mark I slooow down and ease the bit thru the blank. This works for me.

soligen

I dont drill all the way through. Leave the blank long, and stop short, then cut the blank to length to reveal the hole. I do this on wood too whenever I can, as some species can tear out too.

If you leave it long but still go all the way through, there is some degree of risk no matter how carefull you are. Been there, tried it, and the break-out was more than the extra I left.

Texatdurango

Dan, I would cut first then drill.

I either start with a round blank or make a square blank round so they will fit into a collet chuck. I cut to the length I need plus a 1/16" or so on each end. I ALWAYS start with a center drill then move on to the size I need and drill half way into the blank. Then flip the blank over in the collet chuck, use the center drill again then drill full size meeting the other hole somewhere near the middle.

This method allows me to use the shorter, more rigid screw machine drill bits whenever I can. Using a center drill to start a hole then a short bit that has no flex or wobble results in some killer holes!

I think this is by far the best way to drill my blanks. It may take me 3.26 seconds longer than other ways but there is never a chance of tearout and I always wind up with nice clean holes.

williamcr

I drill on my lathe and I just leave my blank just a little bit long in case of a little bit of blow out. Although, I noticed I only geta little blow out when using a jobber drill bit but I don't get any blow out when using a BP drill bit.

Mickey

I leave the blank a little long most of the time but if my blank is short to start with or I want to squeeze out an extra one I'll cut to length and then CA some scrap to each end.

cionow777

Usually, I leave the blank a little long and then trim after drilling on the lathe - just in case of blow out. But, I haven't had much of a problem cutting to length and drilling - as long as I go real slow near the end.

Kevin
Alabama
www.mazurkapens.com

Top Bottom