Drilling on the lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lee K

I'd like to start drilling my blanks on the lathe, and had looked at the chucks from PSI, but ran across this from harbor freight.

I am not sure if this mini chuck would work, so before I buy something, I'd like to get the collective opinion on this? Is there anything unique about how the PSI version makes it better?

I'd like to consider it for multiple uses ( other small turnings too ).

Thanks for the help!

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-mini-lathe-chuck-with-mt-2-shank-4486.html

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

Hey Lee,
I bought my chuck from Woodcraft. It is a Nova mini chuck, It was on sale for 69.99 at the time and it came with 2 sets of jaws. Other Nova jaws will fit it as well. I sue it drill blanks and turn bowls and lidded boxes also tool handles. So keep your eyes open and maybe Woodcraft will put it on sale again.

Philip_TOPS

I have been using the PSI chuck and it has worked great. Unfortunately can't comment on how it compares as it is all I have used.

KenV

Lee -- if your budget can handle it, the better quality chucks are Oneway, Nova, Patriot, Vermek, and Vickmark.

Yup, I have a couple of the PSI chucks, and they do work, but are not made to as close a tolerance, and are wear more rapidly. One of the PSI chucks is making grinding noises after about a years use.

WoodRiver, PSI, etc are "value" priced chucks and do work, but tend to have more runout and more wear --

If all you do is drill blanks, "value" priced chucks will work great. Moving to thinwall bowls and hollowforms, they are likely not going to support your best work.

The HF chuck is not a good deal --- Look for headstock threaded chucks as the torque on a catch can do cumulative damage to a MT. That chuck is three point metal holding chuck and you want an even number of jaws -- like 4.

for drilling look for pin (about 1 inch diameter closed and stick out a long ways) jaws for best use with squareish blanks.

Odd shaped pieces of turning or where you need to hit the pattern dead-on - start between centers and turn a short tenon. Then mount in the chuck and drill.

Lee K

Thanks for the advice Ken.

I am 'in the middle' right now for budgeting. I have a 4 jaw chuck that I got the same time I bought my lathe, and its been 'serviceable', I do want to upgrade, as I can see the better holding power in the future. So far the General Ind one I have does OK with my bowls, up to about 10" so far.

I see now the advantage for the very long support jaws for the blanks, and that does make sense too.

And you are right about a MT for a chuck, didnt think about that!

I have got some studyin to do, or waiting for the Novas to have a better sale!

Andrew Arndts

I have used PSI's Mini Chuck, I now own a Nova Mini... the Nova is far and beyond superior to the PSI mini...
Plus most Nova Jaws are able to fit. the Larger Cole Jaws are not advisable to be used.
I will say I have much more confidence turning with the Nova... or boring out pen blanks.

Russianwolf

If you are talking about drilling for pens, I'd go straight for a Collet chuck.

You can round the blank between centers and then use the chuck to drill. The collet chuck is by far the superior chuck when it comes to making pens. At least in my opinion.

Top Bottom