Drilling on a lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

Hello,
I have a jet mini lathe and I use a one way talon chuck that I mount on the headstock and a jacobs chuck that I mount on the tailstock. The challenge is that the jacobs chuck is loose on the tailstock-it doesn't fit snugly. The jacobs chuck does fit well on the headtock though.

Can someone guide me as to what I am doing wrong?

Alternatively, can you show some pictures of your setup for drilling on the lathe?

Or can you point me to more info on how to drill on the lathe and the setup needed?

Thanks,
Nick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Don't know if this will help but here goes..............my jacob chuck seemed to bottom out on mine until I screwed it out a tad, problem solved!!

aggromere

The MT2 on my chuck is a bit long so i have to extend the tailstock a ways before it fits snuggly.

Fred

Many jacobs chucks are too long for their proper fit in a tailstock. Following the directive of the posts above is one 'fix'. However, if you ever want to use the graduated markings on many tailstocks you will first have to shorten the length of the MT.

I accomplished this task on my metal lathe with no problem. IF you do not have a metal lathe just carefully grind down the end a little bit. Clean it off with WD40 and and test fit it back in the tailstock. If it seats firmly the job is done, if not grind a little more off and re-test the fit.

Be careful and clean ALL the material off the MT after grinding as even a smidgen of debris from the grinding procedure can cause the fit to be unacceptable. :eek:

Nickfff

Thank you

Hello,
Thank you all for the help. I just extended the tailstock and it works fine! Sorry for overlooking the obvious...

Thank you!

Randy_

If you want to read more about drilling on a wood lathe, check out the IAP library. There was a new article added recently written by Keith Larrett, our new library manager.

Top Bottom