Drilling on the lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brianp

Not long after I began turning I became interested in segmenting. With some practice I gained enough skill to make fairly complected segmented blanks and they looked amazing and were perfect, that was until I drilled them. With the stuff I'm doing the drilling has to be perfect or the pattern is off.
Based on what I've read the most accurate way to drill is to drill it mounted on the lathe. But how exactly do I do that, and what kind of chucks do I need?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Personally I have used various chucks, but with some sort of extended jaws so that it is held firmly supported. Some people find they have better luck drilling a small hole as a starter in the center, but I find that I haven't needed it.

VisExp

I've been seeing this question a lot lately. I've put together a photo essay on my blog showing how I drill on the lathe.

You can see it at this link.

Hope this helps you.

jkeithrussell

I use the Barracuda2 jaw chuck system on the headstock and a Jacob's chuck on the tailstock. I am just learning how to do it, but it seems to work very well. So far, the biggest challenge I've encountered is getting the blank set up squarely in the jaw chuck in the headstock. If you round over the blank first, as already suggested, that part would be easier.

ldb2000

Keith is "The Man" when it comes to drilling on the lathe . His pattern blanks MUST be drilled perfectly or the patterns don't work . The way he shows is the most precise way to drill on the lathe .

chuybregts

Awesome photo write up keith. I've been drilling blanks from day one on the lathe, but never thought to turn them round first... should have been obvious being a lathe and all :)

rherrell

I draw lines, using the pattern of the blank, all the way to the ends, and then transfer the lines TO the end. Marking the end with an "X" doesn't work unless your blank and pattern are PERFECTLY square, good luck with that!:wink:
I then center punch the mark and make a small dimple with a center drill. I put it between centers and turn it round and then put it in my Beall collet chuck for the drilling. I usually drill in three steps, 1/4" to start, then I pick a drill about half way between 1/4" and the final size and then the final size. It's a process that works for me so far.
Here's a sample....
attachment.jpg

The lines I was talking about are the long straight black veneers between segments. If you always work from the "center-out" you won't have any off center issues.

Attachments

• saw1.jpg
    saw1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 275

cnirenberg

I've been seeing this question a lot lately. I've put together a photo essay on my blog showing how I drill on the lathe.

You can see it at this link.

Hope this helps you.

Keith,
Now that should be crystal clear. Great photo essay on the hows and why's. What kind of drive center do you use?

VisExp

Keith,
Now that should be crystal clear. Great photo essay on the hows and why's. What kind of drive center do you use?

Cris, it is a 5/8" safety center. There is a good description of it here on the Woodcraft site.

I've got your blog post in a PDF if you want it put in the library here Keith. Let me know.

Thanks Justin. I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address.

Top Bottom