Drilling on the lathe ????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

Since I got the scoop on the way to drill on the lathe I have retired my brand new drill press. My question is this. Is it normal to have the loud screeching sound? This happens on both wood and acrylic. It is so loud it is nearly unbearable. I have a sharp brad point bit and the blank is well anchored in the chuck fixture. I have the tailstock locked down and advance the drill with the crank to the stop, then stop the lathe, push the tailstock forward till the bit hits the back of the hole and lock the TS down again, start the lathe and advance the bit till it cuts thru. Am I doing something wrong or just have to tollerate the screaching?
Stephen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

I started drilling on the lathe this week and I do get some squeal. not real loud, I slowed the Lathe down to 800rpm and don't shove the drill all the way until it stops. I back it off maybe 1/4 inch and allow the chuck to get up to speed before I advance the bit and don't let the shaving build up, clear the bit often. This week I mainly been Resin or Acrylic and a Buffalo horn. I haven't tried wood but that should be no problem. I been drilling with 10.5 and 12.5 mm bits and have not had problems I even managed to true the blanks on the lathe, I must say I prefer it to the drill press. Now if I could just cut the blanks to length on the Lathe I could clean out my shop.

aggromere

i've beeb drilling on the lathe for a while. I drill at 550 and it seems to eliminate the screeching sound unless it is a really long blank like a sketch pencil or zen. Some on the forums have said to use pam. I haven't tried that yet. That might help as well.

jkeithrussell

The screeching sound is heat friction caused by the bit rubbing against the side of the hole. You might be drilling too slow -- after heat has built up. Blow out the hole with compressed air and wait a couple of minutes to let it cool off. A little screeching is inevitable, but it shouldn't be that loud. I drill on the lathe (new at it too) at 500 rpm for most woods -- just go slow.

I did not believe that drilling on the lathe would make much difference until I tried it a few times with the right equipment. But, it makes a HUGE difference when done correctly.

tbroye

I tried the Pam on a Water Buffalo Blank yesterday. Kinda messy don't know if it really helped, but it did smell like cooked Water Buffalo. I will try it on some of the "plastic" blanks.

ace1339

If you don't like the smell of Pam, you can try bar soap. The Pam/Bar Soap/Wax helps to reduce the amount of friction you get from the drill rubbing the wall hole.

Nothing like a little Irish Spring to make your blanks smell nicer!

If the screeching is as bad as you say, I have to wonder if the drill is truly aligned with the blank. If your tailstock is out of alignment with the headstock, by even the tiniest fraction, you will get noticeably more squealing when you drill.

Top Bottom