Drilling on a lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David350

I am interested in trying drilling blanks on the lathe. I have a chuck with a #2 MT so I am set on the drill bit side. My question is what does one use to hold hold the pen blanks or bottle stopper blanks on the "motor" side of the lathe. Thanks, David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

In general, any scroll chuck will hold the blank. So-called 'number 1' jaws generally will grip a blank if it has a reasonably square cross section. And depending on the chuck, you may also be able to grip the blank using only the sliders and without using jaws. There are chuck specifically made for drilling pen blanks, and some chuck manufacturers offer special jaws to mount on a general purpose chuck (but be aware that in general, chuck jaws are not interchangeable, so you are limited to jaws offered by the manufacturer of your chuck.

You can also mount the blank between centers and turn a tenon at one end, and then grip the blank using a collet chuck.

Finally, if you are a bit adventuresome, it is possible to drill on the lathe without mounting the blank on a chuck. What you do in that scenario

magpens

The answer would depend on what lathe you have.

Specifically, what the spindle shape is; whether it has an MT2 bore; whether there are threads on the end of the spindle (facing your workpiece); and, what size those threads are.

In my opinion, your best option would be to buy a 4-jaw chuck which mounts on the (hopefully threaded) end of your spindle.

Last edited:

David350

I have a Nova Galaxi DVR 1644 Lathe. It has a 1 1/8" 8 TPI spindle with a #2 MT. I also have a 1" 8 TPI spindle adapter. Of course the blank drilling chuck I wanted at PSI is on backorder, so I am on the list now. Thanks, David

magpens

Well ..... just a word of caution. . That blank drilling chuck has had some negative feedback.

IMHO, you are much better off to buy a proper lathe chuck for a few extra bucks. . You'll then be able to do lots of extra things as well.

Last edited:

JimB

I have a Nova Galaxi DVR 1644 Lathe. It has a 1 1/8" 8 TPI spindle with a #2 MT. I also have a 1" 8 TPI spindle adapter. Of course the blank drilling chuck I wanted at PSI is on backorder, so I am on the list now. Thanks, David

I think you mean a 1 1/4, not 1 1/8.

Dehn0045

I prefer to turn round and then hold using collet chuck. I have the Nova G3 with pin jaws as well, I think it works pretty good for square or round blanks. When I turn round prior to drilling I think I have less risk of failure when knocking off the corners, also I drill more accurately on center.

magpens

Yes, indeed. Rounding first makes the drilling a whole lot more accurate ... on the lathe preferably.

Drilling is central to all of pen making.

You can't make pens without a lathe. . But you certainly can do without a drill press.

So the sooner that everybody gets to drilling on the lathe, the better.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
To give you a link, this is to Grizzly's; I am not advocating them, just giving you a visual link to "chuck sets".
3.75" Wood Lathe Chuck Set | Grizzly Industrial

Chucks come in different sizes and in the link you can see that these are made to grip wide or narrow. Change the jaws depending on how big of diameter you need to grip. Since you will be turning pen blanks, you will use the jaws that turn the smaller diameter.

A suggestion is to look, research and read some reviews on what you want to do and what you think you MIGHT want to do in the future. Some people turn pens and then after two or three years get tired of it and don't turn anymore. Then there are some who begin to turn larger diameter items such as bowls in addition to pens. :::THIS IS IMPORTANT::: IF this happens, suddenly you realize that you need two different chucks. Buy the right chuck the first time. Buy the same second chuck or at least the same BRAND later and you have interchangeable parts and tools.

The above explanation is not absolutely necessary, but I wish I had known that to begin with when I started.

A second thing to look at is: Is this chuck reversible? Does it turn in both directions. When I started out, reversible chucks were difficult to find, and now I wish I had one. This might be something for later. Reversible chucks allow for you to turn in both directions - which is good for finishing. This also is not absolutely necessary but helpful after you have gained considerable experience and if you have a lathe that reverses.

Just some things to consider - but might be more confusing to those just starting.

Last edited:

Marc

I use the NOVA Pen Jaws to hold the blanks I am drilling on the lathe. The Pen Jaws are significantly better than the Nova Pin jaws for drilling blanks, in my opinion.

I have been using them for a couple of years now and have had way better results than drill press drilling.

Just my $.02.

richard_y6

A right chuck will solve your problem

check your lathe instructions and get correct thread for the chuck. buy a correct chuck will solve your problem .

Nanigai

Old thread

Richard this thread is a bit old and Im sure the OP has sorted his problem by now. Just thought I might add my .02c for anyone else looking for ideas.

Not sure who sells Vicmarc over there but I believe its available from at least one outlet. Since switching to this chuck my failures have dropped to zero.

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

Cheers, Ian

Attachments

• 75737.jpg
    75737.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 143

Woodchipper

I drill on the DP. Tried the lathe with Nova pen jaws and didn't get consistent holes in the blanks. I plan on trying some scraps to see what needs to be done to get more precise holes in the blanks.

monophoto

I'm not a heavy-duty pen maker - I may do two or three kit pens per year for friends. However, I do make quite a few "12 cent" pens (as Capt Eddie calls them) - redressed BIC pens that I give away as thank-you's mainly in stores where the clerks are exceptionally friendly and helpful.

Drilling for 12-cent pens is tricky because the required bit is thin and long - and it is necessary to drill a hole almost 5" deep. When drilling deep holes in wood, there is a tendency for the bit to wander off-axis; basically, it will try to follow grain boundaries inside the wood, remaining in the softer 'summer growth' areas; this problem is aggravated as the hole becomes deeper, and it's a real headache with thin, flexible bits. So keeping the bit on-axis is a real challenge. Nominally, a BIC refill requires a 3/32" hole; I actually drill using a 9/64" bit that is 6" long, and then bore the end of the pen out with a 3/32" bit after it has been completed. I find the process of turning a pen enlarges the hole very slightly, and if I drill initially with the 3/32" bit, the refill will be a bit sloppy in the hole later (although that problem can be solved by wrapping the refill with some plumber's teflon tape).

When drilling holes in blanks, it is necessary to withdraw the bit and clear the swarf periodically - probably every 1/2" of advance. If swarf builds up in the flutes of the bit, it will cause friction that will heat the blank. This is true for kit pens as well as 12-cent pens. If blanks overheat, they can crack. DAMHIKT

Anyway, the process I use for drilling probably would work for kit pens where the bit is much larger. I mount the blank between centers, and turn to round. I also turn a spigot on one end. Then, I remount the blank using #1 jaws in a scroll chuck to grip the spigot. To drill the hole,
1. I start with a center bit, making sure that it is centered in the dimple from the initial between-centers turning before I lock down the tailstock. I drill only deep enough to create a starting point for the next step. Lathe speed is <500 r/min.
2. I replace the center bit with a standard 'jobber length' 9/64 bit that I chuck up as far into the jacobs chuck as possible, exposing only 1/2-3/4" of flute. I center the bit into the starter hole from step one before locking down the tailstock, and have the lathe spinning at less than 500 r/min. I advance the tailstock ram very slowly so that the bit actually cuts the hole before tit advances into the hole. Don't force the advance - let the bit do the work!
3. After using the exposed portion of the jobber-length bit, I replace it with a 6" (so-called 'aircraft bit') bit. Again, I center the bit in the hole before locking down the tailstock and advance the bit very slowly. At this point, I may speed up the lathe a little so that it cuts faster than I advance the bit into the blank, but to avoid overheating the wood, I may also apply a little paraffin wax to lubricate the shank and minimize friction (with 12-cent pens, nothing is glued into the hole, so adding a lubricant is OK).

This seems to work for me - I won't say that I never experience an off-center hole, but my success rate with this approach is reasonably good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom