Drilling on a lathe - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Drilling on a lathe

I am interested in trying drilling blanks on the lathe. I have a chuck with a #2 MT so I am set on the drill bit side. My question is what does one use to hold hold the pen blanks or bottle stopper blanks on the "motor" side of the lathe. Thanks, David
David350 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Pen blank drilling chuck from Penn State Industries.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

In general, any scroll chuck will hold the blank. So-called 'number 1' jaws generally will grip a blank if it has a reasonably square cross section. And depending on the chuck, you may also be able to grip the blank using only the sliders and without using jaws. There are chuck specifically made for drilling pen blanks, and some chuck manufacturers offer special jaws to mount on a general purpose chuck (but be aware that in general, chuck jaws are not interchangeable, so you are limited to jaws offered by the manufacturer of your chuck.

You can also mount the blank between centers and turn a tenon at one end, and then grip the blank using a collet chuck.

Finally, if you are a bit adventuresome, it is possible to drill on the lathe without mounting the blank on a chuck. What you do in that scenario
monophoto is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 63

The answer would depend on what lathe you have.

Specifically, what the spindle shape is; whether it has an MT2 bore; whether there are threads on the end of the spindle (facing your workpiece); and, what size those threads are.

In my opinion, your best option would be to buy a 4-jaw chuck which mounts on the (hopefully threaded) end of your spindle.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

Last edited by magpens; 05-10-2018 at 06:23 PM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a Nova Galaxi DVR 1644 Lathe. It has a 1 1/8" 8 TPI spindle with a #2 MT. I also have a 1" 8 TPI spindle adapter. Of course the blank drilling chuck I wanted at PSI is on backorder, so I am on the list now. Thanks, David
David350 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well ..... just a word of caution. . That blank drilling chuck has had some negative feedback.

IMHO, you are much better off to buy a proper lathe chuck for a few extra bucks. . You'll then be able to do lots of extra things as well.

Last edited by magpens; 05-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David350 View Post
I have a Nova Galaxi DVR 1644 Lathe. It has a 1 1/8" 8 TPI spindle with a #2 MT. I also have a 1" 8 TPI spindle adapter. Of course the blank drilling chuck I wanted at PSI is on backorder, so I am on the list now. Thanks, David
I think you mean a 1 1/4, not 1 1/8.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 12

I prefer to turn round and then hold using collet chuck. I have the Nova G3 with pin jaws as well, I think it works pretty good for square or round blanks. When I turn round prior to drilling I think I have less risk of failure when knocking off the corners, also I drill more accurately on center.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, indeed. Rounding first makes the drilling a whole lot more accurate ... on the lathe preferably.

Drilling is central to all of pen making.

You can't make pens without a lathe. . But you certainly can do without a drill press.

So the sooner that everybody gets to drilling on the lathe, the better.

Last edited by magpens; 05-10-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

To give you a link, this is to Grizzly's; I am not advocating them, just giving you a visual link to "chuck sets".
3.75" Wood Lathe Chuck Set | Grizzly Industrial

Chucks come in different sizes and in the link you can see that these are made to grip wide or narrow. Change the jaws depending on how big of diameter you need to grip. Since you will be turning pen blanks, you will use the jaws that turn the smaller diameter.

A suggestion is to look, research and read some reviews on what you want to do and what you think you MIGHT want to do in the future. Some people turn pens and then after two or three years get tired of it and don't turn anymore. Then there are some who begin to turn larger diameter items such as bowls in addition to pens. :::THIS IS IMPORTANT::: IF this happens, suddenly you realize that you need two different chucks. Buy the right chuck the first time. Buy the same second chuck or at least the same BRAND later and you have interchangeable parts and tools.

The above explanation is not absolutely necessary, but I wish I had known that to begin with when I started.

A second thing to look at is: Is this chuck reversible? Does it turn in both directions. When I started out, reversible chucks were difficult to find, and now I wish I had one. This might be something for later. Reversible chucks allow for you to turn in both directions - which is good for finishing. This also is not absolutely necessary but helpful after you have gained considerable experience and if you have a lathe that reverses.

Just some things to consider - but might be more confusing to those just starting.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 05-11-2018 at 07:58 AM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads