Drilling on the Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scjohnson243

I just got a Drill Chuck that fits nicely in my tailstock... I have been trying to use a 4 claw chuck in my headstock (This One) to center blanks in, but I have been having a problem getting holes cut center.. they always go IN center, and by the end of the blank its skewed to one side, the blanks seem to get caught up in the little hole in the center of the chuck and slide just a bit, so it throws it off center...

What do you guys use in your headstock when you are drilling? This seems like it should be an easy process, but as usual I think I'm overcomplicating it.

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmyshrall

I just got a Drill Chuck that fits nicely in my tailstock... I have been trying to use a 4 claw chuck in my headstock (This One) to center blanks in, but I have been having a problem getting holes cut center.. they always go IN center, and by the end of the blank its skewed to one side, the blanks seem to get caught up in the little hole in the center of the chuck and slide just a bit, so it throws it off center...

What do you guys use in your headstock when you are drilling? This seems like it should be an easy process, but as usual I think I'm overcomplicating it.

Thanks,

Steven,

I use a Nova precision midi chuck with pen jaws for drilling and have not had a problem with it. After looking at the description for your chuck, I wonder if the jaws being independent are the source of the problem. With my chuck, the jaws move the same distance simultaneously but yours appear to be able to move independently of one another. This might make it harder to get an accurate centered grip on the blank. Another possibility is that one or more of the jaws might slip ever so slightly in relation to the others at some point in your mounting; but I could be wrong on this.

Michael

Last edited:

scjohnson243

Thanks,

Steven,

I use a Nova precision midi chuck with pen jaws for drilling and have not had a problem with it. After looking at the description for your chuck, I wonder if the jaws being independent are the source of the problem. With my chuck, the jaws move the same distance simultaneously but yours appear to be able to move independently of one another. This might make it harder to get an accurate centered grip on the blank. Another possibility is that one or more of the jaws might slip ever so slightly in relation to the others at some point in your mounting; but I could be wrong on this.

Michael

Afternoon Micheal - I was told (after I bought it) that it was really designed for Metal work... The tips will move independently (which is the big problem trying to get something dead center)...

Thanks everyone else in the thread, that was what I was looking for!

plantman

I have a Barracuda ("C" Series) Chucking system, with a pair of "C" Series Pen Drilling Jaws added to it, that I use for drilling blanks. Most pen blank drilling devices have only two jaws with V grooves cut into them to keep the blanks from spinning or moving once clamped in. These two jaw chucks will hold any shapped blank you can fit into them, and the long length of the jaws will keep your hole straight from front center to rear center. On round stock, with the V groove cut in the jaws, you have 4 points of contact to firmly hold your stock and avoid slipping. Not saying that you can't use your 4 jaw chuck for pen blanks, you can, but it is quite a hassel to center all 4 jaws that were realy designed for a metal lathe. Jim S

Last edited:

Rich L

A 4-jaw chuck shouldn't matter to drill a straight hole. You're just going to drill a straight hole off-center if your work is off-center. You need to "indicate" your setup. That means determine if your drill is coaxial to the lathe spindle. If you're not sure how to do that then please ask.

Is the surface of blank where you engage the drill flat and perpendicular? How big a hole are you drilling. What's the material? If it's hard, do you spot it? Just standard practices ...

If your drills are not ground equally on each side of the cutting point then you are likely to wander off center after the start. Also, use the shortest drill bit you can - they flex less.

Not sure what you mean "the blanks seem to get caught up in the little hole in the center of the chuck and slide just a bit, so it throws it off center..." ??

An independent jaw chuck is the be all and end all to centering a workpiece presuming the chuck is not a piece of junk. Do you have a dial indicator? Do you have a magnifying glass or loupe instead? It's possible to get within a thousandth of an inch by using a loupe and a light. That's well within tolerances for making pens.

"I was told (after I bought it) that it was really designed for Metal work... The tips will move independently (which is the big problem trying to get something dead center)..." That's an advantage! 4-jaw chucks enable you to make sure your work is on center.

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:

BSea

Hey Steven, I use a collet chuck for drilling. It requires turning your blank round 1st, but it's going to have to be done anyway. And don't worry too much about the hole being off center as long as it's straight without much runout. There are times you need a perfect hole, but not for standard blanks. My collet chuck is without a doubt the most used accessory tool I have for my lathe. If you come over on Saturday, I'll show you what all I do with mine.

Dan Masshardt

Nova chuck with pin jaws for me. Chuck up the square blank, round the exposed half. Flip it over so the rounded part is held in the chuck and round the other side. True up the end and drill the hole.

Top Bottom