Drilling on The Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Troy Cole

Ok, Third question this week.
I feel like I'm not getting smooth holes using my drill press. From what I've read a lot of the experienced turners prefer drilling on the lathe. my question is does anyone have advice on what setup is good (Chuck, Jaws)? I don't have any type of chuck for my lathe so I would be starting from scratch. Keep saying I'm going to buy a chuck, just haven't gotten around to it, seems like this might be a good excuse to buy one. As always Thanks for any advice or info.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

1. You need a Jacobs chuck to hold a drill bit. It will need to be on the correct arbor for your tailstock. This is the less expensive of the chucks. I personally like a keyless chuck. It's a matter if personal preference.

2. A 4 jaw scroll chuck for the headstock (will need to match your thread pattern.

Most people will recommend Novas chucks (I do). Get either the pin jaws or the newer pen plus jaws to go with the chuck. I'd say go with the nova g3.

Other chucks to check out are the grizzly and barracuda, based on other peoples recommendations.

Alternatively to 2., you might purchase penn states dedicated pen blank drilling chuck. Great for that and hardly anything else (unlike 4 jaw chucks).

OZturner

Not wanting to state the obvious, but:
Frequent causes of rough holes can be,
1. blunt drill Bits
2. drilling with too fast drill speed, or forcing the bit rather than allowing it to cut.
3. not drawing back the Bit frequently to allow the chips to clear.

or a combination of two or all of the above.

larryc

Alternatively to 2., you might purchase penn states dedicated pen blank drilling chuck. Great for that and hardly anything else (unlike 4 jaw chucks).

It may be just my heavy-hand but I have gone through two of the PSI dedicated chucks. Sprung jaws.
One of the great advantages of drilling on the lathe is the ease of changing the speed. Even a belt only lathe is easier to change than a drill press.

kovalcik

If you look at what drilling on the lathe buys you, you might be able to fix what is going wrong on the drill press.
1. The lathe chuck holds the blank very securely. Make sure the vise on your drill press is secure and the blank is not moving around.
2. The feed rate on the lathe is slow by design because of having to advance the tail stock. Because of limited travel, you have to clear the hole often. On the drill press do not force the bit and clear chips often.
3. It is usually easier to control speed on a lathe than a drill press. Be sure your drill press is running at an appropriate speed.

Dan Masshardt

Troy's looking for a good excuse to buy a chuck - stop trying to talk him out of it. :)

If you love turning, you will want a chuck. Drilling blanks is only the tip of the iceberg.

If funds aren't really tight, go for it.

If you're trying to do this as inexpensively as possible, work on your drill press technique.

its_virgil

I should be changing the speed on my drill press?:biggrin: I've not changed the speed on my drill press since I first set the speed that I though worked best for me. And, i drill most all available pen blank material.

But, I do like to drill on the lathe when absolute accuracy is needed. I like using the PSI pen blank drilling chuck or turn blanks round and hold with my Beall collet chuck or use the pin jaws on my 4 jaw chuck.

At one time there was an article in the library outlining how to drill pen blanks on the lathe.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

One of the great advantages of drilling on the lathe is the ease of changing the speed. Even a belt only lathe is easier to change than a drill press.

Tom T

The drill bit you use will make a big difference either way you go. Buy a great quality bit.
I use a drill press now. But you guys have convinced me to try it on the lathe.

You need a chuck anyway so you'd be money ahead to pass on the $77 Dedicated Pen Blank Drilling Chuck. Save up a few bucks and pick up a Nova G3 with a few accessories for under $150 and a set of pen plus jaws for $40.00ish.

All that said, I do 90% of my drilling on the drill press because it's faster for me, but one of the G3s I bought came with 3 sets of jaws, one of which was a set of 1" Pin Jaws and I use those for drilling pen blanks on the lathe and it works for me.

In the meantime, figure out why your having issues with your drill press and buy yourself some time to shop around for the other stuffs. One place to start looking is the bits you are using... someone turned me onto Norseman bits long ago and that's all I use now... not saying they are the best, but they are really good and fairly easy to fine online.

Last edited:

CrimsonKeel

Troy's looking for a good excuse to buy a chuck - stop trying to talk him out of it. :)

If you love turning, you will want a chuck. Drilling blanks is only the tip of the iceberg.

If funds aren't really tight, go for it.

If you're trying to do this as inexpensively as possible, work on your drill press technique.

this is soo true. I looked for any excuse to buy mine.
I think i just got a rockler or woodcraft add that had a nova g3 kit on sale starting next month so maybe he could look into that

Jyd

Troy:

I am using the Penn State Utility Grip 4 Jaw and the optional pen blank jaws and having very good luck with them. I have to watch my centering very carefully as my lathe lays down on it side so I can turn from my wheelchair but if it was in the normal position it would be a snap to drill blanks.

Troy Cole

Ok, thanks for all the info. I ordered the Nova G3 chuck, a Jacobs chuck on a #2 morse taper and a set of the Nova Pen Plus Jaws. I thought about the Penn State pen blank chuck, but I thought the Nova chuck would be good in case I venture into other turning later on.

Whaler

Good choice Troy. I have both the G3 and the Super Nova 2, great chucks.
Here is my set up.
Drilling.jpg

Pjohnson

my lather drilling solution

I have an older lathe - 1950's - and the tail stock does not run smooth enough to invest in a Nova or simiar setup. My solution reverse the action.

A simple adjustable jig and my jacobs chuck. It may not be elegant, but it is functional. Drilling round blanks take a bit more care.

Hope it is of help to someone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 128
Top Bottom