Drilling Italian Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

No rest for the weary [V] I had a run on some italian resin pens. So I drilled a batch up tonight for turning tomarrow. Check this out...
Should you find any italian resin, it's around, you just have to look hard and in the right places. What you are seeing is about 70% of the captured shavings from 12 blanks. (not much)
Use plenty of water, take 1/4 inch bites and refill tube with water. As soon as the drill bit cuts the material, it melts, the water helps keep it solid so you can back it out. The first ones I did a year ago, I actually melted, deformed and cracked them in the vise. For those that have cut Decora, this is almost the same, only melts faster!

2005121941822_itl_res.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

That is some good looking stuff!

Of course, you're not going to tell us where those good places to find it are, are you? What is the pricing on this material?[:p]

PenWorks

If there ever is a pen show in your area, go. That is the only place I have found them. They will range from 15-25 per rod, about 18" long. Bob, when you turn them on the lathe, it is real small ribbons, almost like burning it off.

Pete, not sure what the difference is between the two, but the italian stuff seems softer. I am not a chemist, so have no idea what goes in them. But very simular to the Decora which really is not around any more in the colors we want. But there are pen companies still using the Decora we use to get years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom