Drilling depth and Pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LouisQC

I'm planning on upgrading my drill press soon, but then it becomes a question of quill travel.

So, what's the longest drill depth required by a pen kit? Is 3 inches of travel enough for a one step drilling for most kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm starting to do most of my drilling on the lathe, but if I were buying a new drill press, I would opt for the longest quill travel I could get for the money I would be spending. I use a HF table model that I've had for years and it's still serviceable, just has a short quill travel that makes for some creative drilling techniques on longer pen kits.

Randy_

The 1/2" bit in my twist drill bit set only extends out from the chuck by a hair under 4" and there are only one or two kits that currently require holes of more than 4".

Unless you are going to be doing a lot of drilling with specialty long bits, spade bits or Forstner bits, a 4" throw will probably be a reasonable choice. For longer holes, you can always drill on your lathe.

If money is not an issue, then certainly go for the longest throw that you are willing to pay for.

Snorton20

I don't know if i should start a new thread for this one, so I apologize in advance if I am messing up your post. What are the advantages of drilling on a lathe vs. a drill press? and visa versa.

Top Bottom