drilling the clicker pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizical

I am trying to drill out the hole for the clicker pen and i am running into a problem.

1) I tried drilling out the hole and when i get about a quarter of the way down, the blank would start to vibrate and make the hole on the side bigger, rendering the blank useless for this project. is there a way i can stop this from happening? thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

It sounds like the blank isn't getting enough support but without seeing your set-up it's hard to tell. Try drilling pilot holes. Start with 1/4" and keep increasing the size by 1/16" until you get to the right size. That MIGHT work.:wink:

DurocShark

Try using a vise or a pair of clamps to stabilize the blank. One to hold the blank (I like an old fashioned screw clamp for this) and one to hold the clamp to the table.

Also, try re-seating the drill bit. I've had the bit sit crooked and the tip flails around like a whirling dervish. Re seating it got it true again.

jttheclockman

One thing I would like to add and this goes for drilling with a drill press in anything, you need to make sure everything is 90 degrees to the bit. That includes the table and the jig holding the blank and the blank itself. When drilling hard woods or acrlyics you need to back the bit out a few times to clear the shavings. It does help the bit run cooler and straighter.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Assuming all is properly supported, it sounds like your drill bit is dull. If drilling in hard wood, it will try to flex and follow the harder grain. The deeper you drill, the worse it gets.

wizical

well, with this particular pen, Im going to start Drilling on the lathe, I have a Vicmarc chuck and key chuck. I just ordered a longer drill bit that will help me drill deeper into the acrylic. Thanks again for the advice

byounghusband

Kevin,
I looked on your website and it appears that you are using a Woodcraft Pen Blank vise, right? That could be a problem as well. I had one in the past and hated it!! :mad: Others have suggested different forms of holding the blank. All of which IMHO would be better than the WC POS vise :rain:.

wizical

I bought it from CSUSA(probably the same thing) I use it for other pens and it is great, just this one pen in particular that drives me crazy. But I think drilling on the lathe will improve everything. Thanks for the advice

Top Bottom