Drilling Ceboplast serpent rod.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I'm glad I read some where on this vast array of pen turning knowledge that drilling this beautiful material was a bit iffy, I took the warning to heart, and drilled at 420 RPM and kept squirting a tiny bit of DNA into the hole, only drilling about an 1/8 in and pulling out to clear the flutes. What was a surprise was how brittle the strings of chips were considering how soft the material is, I'm thinking I will have a very pretty Jr. Retro with a matching button in the finial, So to whom ever it was that suggested keeping the heat turned way down while drilling this material.
[size=+3] THANK YOU[/size]

OKLAHOMAN

Yes your welcome also and also make sure you turn with scary sharp tools. I know Ed meant to add that but old age is creeping up on him.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

That is the way I do it and the DNA is a good trick for all acrylics. I found the rods to be rather easy to drill and long strings came from my drill bits. It was the flat stock that was Cebloplast was the stuff that was brittle. I just did a black and grey piece and it even turned tougher because of the brittleness. Had to sharpen the skew twice doing that one.
But have to say it is worth it. That stuff is nice looking. In fact that is a blue Cebloplast rod that was used on the poker pen that I was having the paint problems with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom