Drilling Casein?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airborne_r6

I have a casein blank that is destined to become a Jr Retro Fountain tomorrow. I have never worked with casein, real not alternate, and it seems a little brittle. Do I need to take any precautions other than what I do with acrylic, e.g., drilling slowly, using a coolant and leaving the blank long and then trimming to size after drilling?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Make sure your bit is sharp and don't force the bit. TAKE YOUR TIME! Try taping the outside with masking tape if it's round. If it's square, glue thin pieces of wood to the outside, this can be done with any blank you dont want to ruin before getting started. Ask me how I know!!

PenMan1

Perhaps the most important thing, other than sharp tools, is to start drilling the hole using a centering bit. It is very easy to get the hole "off center" with Casein. Even if the blank is still usable, it could look goofy if the hole is off center.

moke

Casein IS very brittle, drill with extreme care, VERY slowly, I have even gone to blowing air into the hole constantly to cool the bit and blank, then when you take it off the lathe, after completion, don't drop it, it is sure to chip....DAMHIKT.

Andy is right with the pattern of casein, if you are not centered it looks wierd...DAMHIKT

I don't particularly turn it with any extra care, but don't get too "strong" during assembly....DAMHIKT

I always reverse paint the blank twice, paint the tube, and tint the epoxy, if you chip or scratch the reverse paint it will show.....DAMHIKT

All that said, it makes an awesome looking pen

GoodTurns

easy pressure, clear the drill hole often. "A friend of mine" ruined a blank when he drilled too fast and scorched the inside of the hole... not too bad if it is a thick portion of the barrel, but will show through on a thinner section.

airborne_r6

Thanks guys that is all very helpful, I normally drill on the drill press but will drill on the lathe and make sure the pattern is centered.

What color of reverse paint? I usually use black but am wondering about white for this one.

moke

Wayne,
I use white cremecoat from Michaels, testors white model paint to tint the epoxy and spray the tube, (or use white tubes) with white primer.

airborne_r6

Wayne,
I use white cremecoat from Michaels, testors white model paint to tint the epoxy and spray the tube, (or use white tubes) with white primer.

Thanks, white is what I was thinking. I'm glad I asked these questions. I would have just painted it black without thinking cause that's what I normally do.

moke

Wayne,
My first thought has been white will give it a "perkier" overall look. As I sit here I am now wondering if Black might make the "pattern" show more...any one know for sure?

Top Bottom