Drilling blanks on the lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobRad

Having just had a disaster on my drill press, I guess I should look at the alternatives since I never drilled a blank on the lathe. I've done some searching but do not find a definitive method.

I found
http://syzygypens.com/blog/2009/06/01/drilling-a-pen-blank-on-the-lathe/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zerABY2xZhk

1. Are blanks better rounded before drilling, or can you work from rough square?

2. Are the blanks always cut in half before drilling?

3. What are the pros and cons of the PSI dedicated chuck, PSI collet chucking system, Lee Valley collet set, PSI pen drilling jaws (I'd have to buy a lathe chuck for the jaws but maybe that give me more options for other things)

4. With a drill press I can do quick in and outs to clear chips and keep the bit cool- but on the lathe it seem the bit is sitting in place much more, you can't spin a tailstock screw that fast

5. What lathe speed?

[PSI and Lee Valley are easier for me to get fast]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

Here are my opinions.

1. I think it works better rounded, but that's my opinion.
2. The shorter the blank, the less run out, or non-accuracy in the drilled hole.
3. I'd buy a collet chuck. They are very versatile and you can do a lot of other things with them.
4. The bit will stay cool as long as you take small bites at a time.
5. Run the lathe at about 500 RPM.

Here is the best tutorial in the world for this.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/lathedrilling.pdf

You mentioned it above but here is a PDF format.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

BobRad

I just noticed - what you give is a more readable version of the link I had above

Its already useful - center finder and a marking knife. two things I have stuck away in a drawer and forgot I had

Last edited:

KDM

Definitely drill the blanks out on a lathe. I would never consider doing it on a drill press.

1. Yes. You can chuck up a non-rounded blank, but it's pot luck if you get the hole up the middle. Of course, this might not matter: at the end of the day, the hole you drill BECOMES the middle!

Turn the blank between centres first to get it round.

2. Not necessarily. Take plenty of cuts at it/ Don't do it in one go and allow lots of cooling time. I've had compressed shavings in my drill bit cause teh air in teh blank to compress and them explode out the open end of a blank! It was entertaining but I wouldn't want it to happen every time.

3. I've no idea what tehy are.

4. Indeed. And related to point (2), depending on the depth of your tailstock screw, you might be able to make it all the way through half a pen. It's unlikely you'll be able to make it up a full 100mm blank. You're right, though: it takes ages to withdraw and the bit can heat up again on re-entry even before it starts to cut. You might consider centre drilling a pilot hole on the lathe and then moving over to the drill press? Never tried. Tell us you try!

5. Slow.

Top Bottom