drilling blanks on the lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherA

Hello all, I do not own a drill press and have had to borrow one to drill pen blanks. I have read a little here about drilling on the lathe. I know I would have to get a drill chuck and smaller jaws for my nova midi chuck. Do you all have pretty good luck drilling on the lathe? I have a Jet Mini with bed extension. Also, any recommendations for drill chuck brands and also what size jaws do I need for the midi chuck. I still may look for a used drill press but I thought that this would be a less expensive way to go for now.

Thanks,
Heather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Heather, I drill some blanks on the lathe, especially those that are marginal in size for the kit I am making... I have a SuperNova chuck and use the optional pin jaws for my drilling...
pinjawset.jpg

Most chuck makers have a set of jaws similar to them
As for a drill chuck, I would stay away from "bargain basement" chucks and buy a good chuck from a name supplier like CSU, Woodcraft, etc.

Mainebowlman

Heather, like you I started out without a drill press and used the lathe. While it is slow, it can be highly accurate.
For regular pens, I used a 7mm pointed bit mounted in a jacobs chuck on the headstock. Using a nail I put a dimple in the center of each end of the blank. Then with the point of the live center in one of the dimples, I brought the tailstock up to the drill bit mounted in the headstock. Using a quick-clamp to hold the blank (don't use your hand DAMHIKT) I turned the lathe on and cranked the tailstock til I drilled about 3/4 of the way through. I did all of the blanks this way.
Then I <u>removed the live center</u>, slid the partially drilled blank on the drill bit, and finished drilling by cranking the tailstock till the bit passed through. Never had a blowout, always a dead center hole.
If you're doing several blanks it's far more efficient than doing just one or two.

Keep watching the local classifieds. I did and eventually found an old floor model Craftsman drill press for $60. It <u>will </u>make a huge difference when you do find one.

Jack Savona

PenWorks

Hi Heather, I know this is not a pen blank, but the principal is the same. As Tom said above, this is a photo of Nan Bushley drilling a hole on a lathe in one of the sessions I sat in on "bowl turning 101" drilling on the lathe using a chuck with your drill bit in the tail stock. Nan was a great instuctor, going back to basics, is allways a good refresher for everyone.

2005619224527_DSC00713.jpg
<br />

Deere41h

Heather....Here is a picture of how I have done it in the past. I use this method for drilling larger holes where I need a very accurate hole. Hope this helps.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200561315653_DrillingA.jpg
<br />

woodguy1975

I drill 99% of my blanks on my lathe. It is not as fast as the drill press, but I get much better drilling accuracy this way. Perfect for drilling tough blanks like corn cobbs or horn.

Good Luck,

John

patrick_1853

Don't go cheap on the jacobs chuck! I bought one for 8 dollars at Sears (they were dumping their turning stuff). Didn't realize it, but instead of using just a morse taper, it had an adaptor from whatever other type of fitting it used. The end result is that it is sloppy as all get out.

Dario

I really want to try this (BAD).

Currently I have a Talon chuck (with #2 jaws) but doesn't have a #1 set of jaws and would like to avoid swapping jaws if possible...any cheaper alternative chucks I can look at? Or should I buy the #1 jaws and swap as needed?

I have all the other "ingredients" like jacobs chuck, drill, etc.

dubdrvrkev

Dario, Just buy the pin jaws. You will find many other uses for them also, like bottle stoppers that use dowells or small hollow forms you can reverse chuck lightly, but enough to tune up the foot.

I drill my blanks on the lathe but only because I don't have a DP. When the quill gets extended everything gets a bit wobbly. Sometimes I just start the bit with the quill then release the tailstock and and slowly push it through by hand. But be carefull as some woods really like to grab the bit and start self feeding. This will most likely cause a blowout in the exit side.

I drill my pen blanks on the lathe and I have two drill presses. I just find it easier to center the blank this way.

Two things
1) Hold the chuck in your hand while you are drilling. If the chuck spins, you can ruin the taper or the spindle.
2) Clean the taper and spindle from dust and chips before inserting the taper.

smoky10

dario,I use the #2 jaws that came with my talon to drill blanks and have had no problems. I mark the center and use the tail stock to center it then use my jacobs chuck to drill it.

Dario

Originally posted by smoky10
<br />dario,I use the #2 jaws that came with my talon to drill blanks and have had no problems. I mark the center and use the tail stock to center it then use my jacobs chuck to drill it.

Can you post a pic please? I am interested to see how you do it.

Are you using the threaded part that is used to close the chuck to hold the blanks and not the actual jaws?

I am actually planning on making a clamp jig to hold the pen blanks since #2 jaws will not close enought to grip the blanks.

smoky10

Dario, I assume you are just interested in the way the blank is in the chuck.

2005620175051_Chuck.jpg
<br />

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by smoky10
<br />dario,I use the #2 jaws that came with my talon to drill blanks and have had no problems. I mark the center and use the tail stock to center it then use my jacobs chuck to drill it.

Can you post a pic please? I am interested to see how you do it.

Are you using the threaded part that is used to close the chuck to hold the blanks and not the actual jaws?

I am actually planning on making a clamp jig to hold the pen blanks since #2 jaws will not close enought to grip the blanks.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Dario
<br />I really want to try this (BAD).

Currently I have a Talon chuck (with #2 jaws) but doesn't have a #1 set of jaws and would like to avoid swapping jaws if possible...any cheaper alternative chucks I can look at? Or should I buy the #1 jaws and swap as needed?

I have all the other "ingredients" like jacobs chuck, drill, etc.
I don't have any type of self adjusting chuck, but please educate me as to why some hardwood or any other kind of "shims" could not be added between the jaws and the blank prowided they are of equal thickness?
If it has been suggested I apologize for missing it.

Dario

Eagles,

That is what I meant when I said this a few repsonses above:

"I am actually planning on making a clamp jig to hold the pen blanks since #2 jaws will not close enought to grip the blanks."

Basically a filler (or shim as you put it) to hold the blanks...similar to a notched vise but using the jaws of the chuck to hold it.

HeatherA

Thank you all for the responses and photos. I will be gettting a drill chuck as soon as I can. Sounds like I don't even need another set of jaws for the other chuck. Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy at boyscout camp. I think I need to go back to work for a rest!

Thanks again,
Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom