Drilling blanks for the Churchill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbyrd24

Tried drilling my first set of blanks for the Churchill tonight using
some Partridge Wood I had received from my buddy Wood-of-1 Kind (Peter Cribari), I was saving it for just this pen.I originally didn't drill a pilot hole and blew the blank apart. A suggestion I have is to first drill a pilot hole using a 15/32 drill bit. I picked up a blank I received from Dario (beautiful Cherry) and it worked just fine. The largest bit used is a 33/64. I had to use a 1/2 because I looked everywhere for a 33/64. It was a little hard to enlarge the hole with a bit that large. Any suggestions for a bit a little larger,but not too big.Thanks in advance and good luck when drilling these blanks. Quite a change in size from some of the bits I beleve we are all used to using.;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

You can get the correct size (33/64) from either BB or Berea. I've done 8 of these pens so far and didn't use a pilot hole on any of them, in fact I do almost all large pens and I have never drilled a pilot hole. If you use a good sharp bit, clear the shaving often and keep the heat down there should be no problem. To keep the heat down and help clear the shavings I hold my vacume hose at the opening of the hole. Drawing air accross the bit cools it.

Wayne

TomServo

I like to drill the holes before cutting the blanks - and if you're worried (as I am sometimes, using a hand drill on my blanks!) start at 1/4" and run up your entire set of bits to the final size. Go by 32nds if you can...

alamocdc

Bryan, I had the same problem locating a 37/64" bit to do Gents. Ended up just ordering it from BB. I've not drilled a pilot hole and not yet had the problem you're speaking of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom