Drilling Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JRobCards

I've recently got into pen turning and have spent all of my time turning plain ol' slimline pens.

I have recently been wanting to move onto some nicer kits like the Jr Gent kit and have been having trouble drilling the blanks. Am I missing some common sense here?

I've lost 2 expensive blanks (for me) to this kit. One M3 metal blank that set me back $25 and a Purple heart that set me back $8. Both of these just blew apart when drilling. I think these blew apart and split while trying to push and drill through the base.

Do I need to drill a pilot hole first and then follow up with that large bits or do I just need a bit of wood underneath to prevent blow out that could be causing these explosions in blanks?

KBs Pensnmore

Are you trying to drill straight through or are you drilling a bit, (about a 1/4" or less, acrylics about 1/8"), backing out and drilling a bit more? If it is straight through then that is one of the problems, as the swarf/shavings are building up and also getting hot, it takes very little heat the give problems. Also how sharp is the drill bit, like how many holes has it drilled as this can also be a cause, are you having to push harder to get the bit to work it way through, these can all create the problem you are having.
Kryn

randyrls

Joshua; The technique i use is to cut long and drill short avoiding the bit breaking thru the end of the blank. Click here for a detailed description of the blank preparation. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom