Drilling Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ts8181

Hi everyone! Can I drill my pen blanks with my lathe since my drill press won't drill the blanks all the way thru? I'm just starting out and having a great time turning different things. This forum is awesome too with a lot of info. Thanks, Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Boz

I only drill on the lathe. Much more accurate than any drill press. You will need a chuck to hold the brill bit. You will need one with the correct taper to fit on your tail stock. The first one I bought used a key to tighten the chuck. That was a bit of a pain so I traded up to a keyless one much better. Then you need a vice that fits on the head stock. I have one for square blanks and a collet set for round ones. The concept is the blank turns and the drill bit does not. You advance the drill bit forward into the spinning blank using the quill on the tail stock. Every 1/4 inch or so pull the bit back out to get all the shavings out. Some here on this forum have not done this and have had the drill bit bind up in the blank. Turn the blank at a low to medium speed. Too fast and you may get a heat build up that may damage the blank. Once you have the correct tools drilling blanks on your lathe is as easy as pie.

Paul in OKC

My first drill press had a short stroke as well. I would drill as far as it would go, stop the motor, slide a 1 by 4 under the vise sliding up the bit, and finish from there. A pain, yes, but it worked.
And yes you can drill on the lathe as many do.

wildanessdude

I've just recently started making pens and I drill all my blanks using this:

NOVA Pen Plus Jaw Set

I HIGHLY recommend these jaws if want accuracy when drilling blanks. You do have to buy a chuck too but they are nice to have anyway.

pesto126

so.. with the collet chuck method - I assume you need to round down the blank first so it fits the collet? Seems like this would require an extra step and swap out of lathe tools unless you have a dedicated lathe for this? Lots of ways to tackle turning a pen!

jroach21

I only drill on the lathe. Much more accurate than any drill press. You will need a chuck to hold the brill bit. You will need one with the correct taper to fit on your tail stock. The first one I bought used a key to tighten the chuck. That was a bit of a pain so I traded up to a keyless one much better. Then you need a vice that fits on the head stock. I have one for square blanks and a collet set for round ones. The concept is the blank turns and the drill bit does not. You advance the drill bit forward into the spinning blank using the quill on the tail stock. Every 1/4 inch or so pull the bit back out to get all the shavings out. Some here on this forum have not done this and have had the drill bit bind up in the blank. Turn the blank at a low to medium speed. Too fast and you may get a heat build up that may damage the blank. Once you have the correct tools drilling blanks on your lathe is as easy as pie.

My only advice is to HOLD on to the the drill bit so that it doesn't come out of the tailstock. I wasn't holding it one time and it flew off...thankfully not at me. So far I have had good success with this!

Russianwolf

so.. with the collet chuck method - I assume you need to round down the blank first so it fits the collet? Seems like this would require an extra step and swap out of lathe tools unless you have a dedicated lathe for this? Lots of ways to tackle turning a pen!

Yes, it does require an extra step, BUT it is a beneficial step.

I round all my blanks first between centers. Why?

Because it gives a much better indication of what is inside the blank. Allowing me to make better decisions on where to cut and see if there are any problem areas.

Also, wood blanks are rarely square and straight. Center drill the ends and turn between centers and suddenly they are uniform and easier to work with.

I know some that also do their segmenting on round blanks because of the uniformity can easily be off on square blanks.

Sabaharr

I had the same experience as jroach21 only mine didn't end as nicely as his. I got hit on my left forearn by the chuck when a segmented blank shattered from the torque of a lose freespinning chuck. I pulled back the tailstock to clear shaving from the bit and the bit locked itself into the blank. I thought it had broken my arm at first but further examination revealed a big knot, swelling, and bruising. I got lucky on that one and will not let that happen again. I think about it every time I draw back that tail stock. Experience is as much about knowing what NOT to do as it is know what TO do.

Top Bottom