Drilling blank question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd99

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried drilling their blanks with a gun drill (it would have to be on a lathe naturaly)?

I've drilled tens of thousand of holes in a gamit of metals with gun drills they don't get chip bound due to the straight flute, cut straight (stronger) I was just wondering if they would work for driling blanks, you could drill the complete length of the blank then cut it instead of cutting in two then drilling.

Just pondering. :biggrin: slow day at work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd99

Got any pictures.???

Lin.
Looking for better pictures.

Gun_drills.png

page08_p1.jpg

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried drilling their blanks with a gun drill (it would have to be on a lathe naturaly)?

I've drilled tens of thousand of holes in a gamit of metals with gun drills they don't get chip bound due to the straight flute, cut straight (stronger) I was just wondering if they would work for driling blanks,
you could drill the complete length of the blank then cut it instead of cutting in two then drilling.
Good thought, but some pen blanks take 2 different sizes of drills.

KenV

I have use those or similar for drilling long distances -- a bit spendy for routine use - I got mine used a Boeing Surplus and got to refurbish them for wood work.

Should work fine -

(Memory is that bag pipe makers use those and "d-drills" for the long holes)

johnnycnc

What about the oil flush? if you run dry, I don't see those straight flutes evacuating well in wood. I've been wrong before though :biggrin:
I'm familiar with them from mold work, btw.

KenV

I have used them with compressed air -- somthing of a hassle to rig up -- but they do drill straight --

More hassle than makes sense to me for pens -- but for long barley twists, works well.

Top Bottom