Drilling Blank for Cigar Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregD

I know I've seen this here before. I'll be darned if I can find it now that I want it.
When drilling blanks for the Woodcraft Cigar Pen is there any problem using a 25/64" bit instead of 10mm bit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

The 25/64" bit is 0.3906" and 10mm is 0.3937". So, the 25/64" is 0.0031" smaller. It will certainly make a tighter fit (maybe too tight). But you could always test it in a piece of scrap.

Rifleman1776

Close doesn't count. If the tube won't go in, it won't go in. That is why the diabolic suppliers design them that way. So they can sell you an odd-ball sized bit for $12.95, or more, instead of you using one from your $20.00 set of 25 bits.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
10mm bit... $8.95 from Arizona Silhouette, cigar kits $2.95 from Arizona Silhouette, shipping (without insurance) $3.95 Flat Rate Mail Envelope (a whole lot of kits in an envelope)...

The satisfaction of having the <u><b>RIGHT</b></u> tools to do the job properly... <b><u>PRICELESS</u></b>

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I just grab whatever bit Ihave that looks close,I butt it to the end of the tube.I drill a piece of scrap.Take teh suffed tube and try a test fit dry!!!!
Alwas do this whether you have the reccomended bit or not.When a moment of truth happens you'll know why this is a good idea.
I have bought reccomended Bits from a certain suBBlier that are too small for the kits they were suBBLied for and had to use another Bit any way.
rememBBBBBer just because a suBBLier says the Bit is correct doesn't make it coBBect!
There are also times when drilling a cross cut blank that the tube wont fit and you will have to hog out the hole or go to another bit.
MORE GLUE!!!!!!

I have a Norseman 'O' size drill bit. I checked it with micrometers and it's right on at .3160. It's a bit too small for the the kits it's supposed to fit. I can't push the tube through even without glue so I wobble (technical term [;)] )the blank around on the bit to get the tube to fit. Good thing I use epoxy so it fills the gaps that the wobbling causes. The next common sizes up would be a 'P' (.3230) bit which is .007 larger and 21/64" (.3281) which is .012 bigger. I wonder which one would be best [?] I'm thinking maybe 21/64" at 12 thou larger [?]

GregD

I just came in from the shop. Just to let you all know, 25/64" bit works great on Woodcraft Cigar Pens. I'll post pictures in a few days. Sure wish I'd sell some more pens so I can get a digital camera.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Greg, If I may ask... why purchase your pen kits from Woodcraft (they just resell Berea kits) when you can get the same cigar kit from Arizona Silhouette for $2.95 instead of $5.99. And also have a better selection of platings....

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How come I never run into FREE kits???[:D][:D][:D]

Can't beat that deal.

Generally, I agree with Griz, BB gets them out really quickly too!

GregD

Yea, I buy a lot from BB & Woodturningz.

Ed, first you gotta have friends. Then the free kits come![:D][:D][}:)][:D]

fritz, is that drill bit a brad point or penturners bit? I haven't decided if I lke the Cigar pen as yet but at that price I can't afford not to.

fritzmccorkle

Hi Greg,
that is the standard high speed steel brad point. speaking of the penturners bit i have one in 10mm that i bought from woodcraft that says 10mm penturners bit. is there something besides the size and price that makes it a penturner's bit??? it's a standard split point.

fritz

Thumbs

The cheap way to cover all the bases is to get one of those 25pc bit sets in metric sizing. Here is a place in New York where I paid about $30 for the set of 25 from 1mm to 13mm. Pretty good deal, I thought![;)]

http://www.drillsandtaps.com

Actually it was:$29.80. With shipping , it totaled $35.79.
Best price I found and in a steel flip case.[:D]

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Greg, If I may ask... why purchase your pen kits from Woodcraft (they just resell Berea kits) when you can get the same cigar kit from Arizona Silhouette for $2.95 instead of $5.99. And also have a better selection of platings....

It is less expensive for a single kit for that one time special pen from Woodcraft.

Arizona Silhouette 2.95 + 3.95 Shipping = $6.90
WoodCraft $5.99

Chuckie

mrcook4570

It is less expensive for a single kit for that one time special pen from Woodcraft.

Arizona Silhouette 2.95 + 3.95 Shipping = $6.90
WoodCraft $5.99

Only if you exclude the cost of gas in getting to woodcraft [:D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by fritzmccorkle
<br />Hi Greg,
that is the standard high speed steel brad point. speaking of the penturners bit i have one in 10mm that i bought from woodcraft that says 10mm penturners bit. is there something besides the size and price that makes it a penturner's bit??? it's a standard split point.

fritz

Good question. My guess is that it's the price.

Fangar

Originally posted by Chuck Key
But it is instant gratification [;)]

Just so you know, in case you ever need something, BB would not charge you 3.95 for one kit. He would likely charge about 37 cents or whatever the actuall shipping is. He is top notch and so is his company policy on shipping.

James

GregD

Originally posted by Justin_F
<br />
Originally posted by GregD
<br />Tom,
I didn't buy these, they were given to me by a friend that is getting out of pen making.
Greg - how do you get out of penmaking? I only as because I think there should be a 12 step program....[;)]

I agree. It's definitly addictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom