Drilling Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

Is drilling antler hard on bits? I have been drilling wood and acrylics with no trouble, but ever since drilling a section of antler over the weekend, I can't seem to drill anything with the bit.

It feels like the bit is just dull.

Is antler generally that hard on bits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

Depends, a standard twist bit doesn't seem phased but the Forstner and brad point bits don't like the stuff and dull faster than they do in wood.

Chasper

I've drilled hundreds of them with several different sizes of bits and never noticed the bits dulling. But I do sharpen my bits regularily. Bits do get dull from regular use, no matter what material you are drilling.

If the antler is a little green and the bit is a little dull, the chips may glue themselves together in a mass that fills the flutes and causes bit wobble which ruins the blank. Antler is somewhat hard to drill and there are many ways you can destroy a blank in drilling, but in my experience dull bits are way down the on the list of likely problems.

Last edited:

Fibonacci

I might be able to drill the blanks out for a larger tubed pen.

As far as the bit, I looked it over and it is clean, but really really dull. The blanks that I drilled with it are really badly chewed up inside and the holes are oversized on the top end.

Woodlvr

I had an issue the other day and after what Gerry stated maybe its time to bring out the dreaded Drill Doctor. I noticed that my Home Depot even carries them now and the adapter for larger drill bits.

crabcreekind

get the colt 5 star bits, i have drilled everything and it isnt any duller than when i bought it, and it cuts like butter, 7mm is like 10 bucks. So worth it!

Top Bottom