Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrc

Attachments

• Bullit Pen.jpg
    Bullit Pen.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 357
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

That made my day. Thanks, Jim, now I can go ahead and use the antler I have been afraid to drill. That is MUCH easier and safer than wrapping tape around oddly shaped pieces and mounting them in my chuck.

J

jackrichington

Would this be easy to describe for people who only have dial-up and can't see utube?

rjwolfe3

Make a dimple in each end with the point of a knife where you want the drill bit to enter and exit. Put the drill chuck and drill on the headstock side. Hold the antler with a pair of pliers. Put drill bit on one dimple, and bring the tailstock up to the other dimple. Turn lathe on and push antler with tailstock.

If I missed anything, someone let me know.

jrc

If I wrote it nobody could understand it. I think if someone drilled antler often and have trouble doing it, I would think the video would be worth the wait. If anyone would like to get photos and write the text and put it in the library. It's OK with me. I think it should be in the library.

Chasper

Last night I did some this way with the usual out of square ends, as long as the dimple on the bit end is big enough to get the bit started it will go through straight. The bit doesn't wander off line the way it does with a drill press and an out of squre end.

chiptheshrink

Where is the challenge in doing it this way? I no longer get to use my psychic powers to try and predict where my bit is going to exit!
But THANKS MUCH for a great tip anyway, I figure it's saving me about 50% of my antlers.
chiptheshrink
Madison WI

Top Bottom