Drilling Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpens

Ghasan, who supplies the Bethlehem Olivewood I sell, has most generously offered to send me a piece of Mother of Pearl large enough to make a slimline pen from. Here's the question. How can I drill a hole through MOP without breaking it? I have used MOP for inlays such as in the pen below. I suspect drilling it will be significantly more difficult than cutting a 1/8" thick piece with carbide end mills. Any ideas?

4cthn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Jim, I wonder if the techniques used for glass might work. Essentially get a brass rod and use a slurry of grit to do the boring.

Another train of thought would be to use a carbide tipped concrete drill. There is no helix to gouge or to pull on the material

Fred in NC

Drill just like glass. A hole going thru a blank will be no easy accomplishment.

By the way, MOP dust is extremely dangerous to your lungs. A lot of MOP work is done under water. Dust remaining in the area can eventually get into your lungs. Normal dust collection and respirators cannot remove all dust.

Lou

Jim--you don't mention what type of MOP you are to receive, but I do have a bit of experience with abalone shell MOP. Back in the 60's I used MOP to decorate the leather belts I made. The two things I remember best are to use a fresh bit and drill at a low speed. I also remember that we wore surgery masks as the dust is a fairly severe lung irritant. I think someone claimed that it was even toxic, but I'm still here!

G

It's all toxic.
And we are all gonna die.
It's inevitable.
fact of life(Excuse the pun)
When I go they will have to pry my cold dead fingers off my chisel or bury me with it.

Gary

Use the laser you've got in the back of your shop.[:)]

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />Ghasan, who supplies the Bethlehem Olivewood I sell, has most generously offered to send me a piece of Mother of Pearl large enough to make a slimline pen from. Here's the question. How can I drill a hole through MOP without breaking it? I have used MOP for inlays such as in the pen below. I suspect drilling it will be significantly more difficult than cutting a 1/8" thick piece with carbide end mills. Any ideas?

4cthn

woodpens

Originally posted by Gary
<br />Use the laser you've got in the back of your shop.[:)]
I wish I had a laser, but I don't. The right laser would probably do the job, but typical lasers that are used for engraving wouldn't be able to handle it IMHO.

btboone

Nope. The laser would likely just heat it up and crack it when it's in a thick block. There's also that pesky focal length thing. The length of the useful focal point is only about 1/8" or so on my laser. Beyond that length in either direction, and the beam gets out of focus and doesn't heat things as much. It does depend on the lens used, but it won't vary greatly from that. If I understand correctly, Jim will be trying to drill through lengthwise which will be a real chore.

jkirkb94

Eagle, you have been turning way toooo many pens from rifle shells![:D] For someone who doesn't shoot, you are sure starting to sound like Charleton Heston! (compliment) Kirk[8D]

woodpens

I appreciate all of the suggestions. This isn't going to be easy. You guys keep Mr. Murphy out of my shop when I try this. [;)] If anyone else has any additional suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

G

Originally posted by jkirkb94
<br />Eagle, you have been turning way toooo many pens from rifle shells![:D] For someone who doesn't shoot, you are sure starting to sound like Charleton Heston! (compliment) Kirk[8D]
Only six or seve so far,but that doesn't count the attempts[;)]

Gary

Jim, here is a tip from the knife making folks:

Working Mother of Pearl
Mother of pearl will not shrink or change shape after making a handle.
When grinding or shaping M.O.P. do not allow the piece to become excessively hot to touch, as this can cause a burned mark that is deep and hard to remove. Otherwise the M.O.P. can be ground and finished just like bone or Ivory. When drilling M.O.P. use mineral spirits to keep the drill cool, just a drop or two. When setting pins, use a drop of supper glue in the hole. This will keep the polishing compound out of the hole and prevent discoloration later from oil penetration. Remember that M.O.P. is translucent and only slightly harder than bone. It can be cut with a hack saw or jewelers saw. It is recommended that all grinding be done with good suction (vacuum), cause the stuff stinks pretty bad. <b>Also Wear a respirator.[/</b>i]

I saw another reference where they said to use water when drilling to keep it cool.

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />I appreciate all of the suggestions. This isn't going to be easy. You guys keep Mr. Murphy out of my shop when I try this. [;)] If anyone else has any additional suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom