Drilling Acrylic Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dasimm

I am about to do my first Acrylic Bottle Stoppers - but I have a newbie question. When I did the wooden blank I was able to force the blanks onto the stopper mandrel by screwing them on and having the mandrel thread the wood. Was a challenge for some of the burls but I managed.

My concern is that the acrylic has much less give and if I force it it might shatter the blank. Should I tap the acrylic or can you do it the same way as wood blanks?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

I have the PSI setup. I've been able to drill the wood and acrylic the same way, using the 23/64 bit.

With Tru-Stone I up the bit a little, but I don't know the size I use. (my memory is going).. - Might be 3/8, but do not go by my memory..... Use your calipers.

Whaler

I drill and tap all of my stopper blanks. I also put a dab of wax on the mandrel threads so the blank threads on and off easier.

steeler fan1

I drill and tap all of my stopper blanks. I also put a dab of wax on the mandrel threads so the blank threads on and off easier.

I drill and tap as well. The only challange is getting the threads straight.
Thanks Dick, I like the wax idea:).

Carl

tbroye

I drill and tap on the lathe using a chuck to hold the blank. Drill at slow speed. When I use the tap I place it in the drill chuck and do it by hand, turning the headstock. I have found that this give me straight threads. I also place piece of tape on the drill bit so I don't drill to far. Just about 1/16 to an 1/8 deeper the threads on the stopper.

dasimm

Thanks everyone... I will go ahead and order the tap as I really don't want to blow out these nice acrylics and they aren't cheap.

Top Bottom