Drilling acrylic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

As a result of my adventures with Dymondwood in a previous thread I got a lot of feedback on drilling Dymondwood. Some people, both here and in the Australian forum, suggested using water to cool down the drill bit.

I have just drilled my first 4 acrylic blanks, decided to use metho instead of water, evaporates a bit quicker and doesn't cause corrosion on the drill press/vise.

This worked like a charm, drill didn't get hot at all, just put a bit in the hole every time I brought the drill bit up.

Used one of those squeeze mayonnaise bottles, but will have to look for one of the plastic laboratory bottles with a fine angled spout.

Blank is ready for gluing as soon as drilling is finished.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

Probably a bit of a language problem here;)

DA, denatured alcohol or ethanol or methylated spirits is usually called metho in Australia, so I am not referring to Methanol, that is not normally available over the counter.

So, this is what I am referring to

http://www.diggersaust.com.au/files/methylated_spirits_ethanol.pdf

As a retired Paint Chemist I certainly would not advocate people using methanol for any purpose, and of course I didn't, I referred to METHO, which perhaps is not very clear to our American friends.

Sorry for any confusion.

gwilki

Fred

FWIW, I knew what you were talking about. It's the same nick here in Canada. I've been using a home brew of 90/10 for quite a while and it works a treat.
We have the same confusion when talking about denatured alcohol. In Canada, there are almost 200 formulations for DA. Gasohol is one of them. It seems that in the US, it is different. This list frequently talks about using DA for various projects, but it means nothing to us up here in the Great White North, since without knowing the formulation, it could be Sunoco gasoline. (All Canadian Sunoco gas contains 10% ethanol, and is a DA.)

BigShed

I should have been more precise.

Have the same problem on the Oz WW forum, sometimes an American comes on and sees us talking about Mineral Turpentine and White Spirits, confuses the hell out of him. He keeps talking about Mineral Spirits and VMP&P Naphta, that we don't use.

And we are supposed to be talking the same language!

Good to hear that it can happen with near neighbours on the same continent:D

(Notice I spell neighbours wrong too? can't get my colour right either):)

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by BigShed

I should have been more precise.

Have the same problem on the Oz WW forum, sometimes an American comes on and sees us talking about Mineral Turpentine and White Spirits, confuses the hell out of him. He keeps talking about Mineral Spirits and VMP&P Naphta, that we don't use.

And we are supposed to be talking the same language!

Good to hear that it can happen with near neighbours on the same continent:D

(Notice I spell neighbours wrong too? can't get my colour right either):)

We are friends separated by a common language. ;)

rogerpjr

For those of you who don't know, methylated spirits of alcohol is approximately 60% ethanol (industrial drinking alcohol) made unsuitable for drinking by adding about 10% methyl isobutyl ketone or 10% methanol, a trace amount of chemical to give it a bad taste (usually Bitrex) and a trace of some type dye. The balance is water.

OldWrangler

For those of you who don't know, methylated spirits of alcohol is approximately 60% ethanol (industrial drinking alcohol) made unsuitable for drinking by adding about 10% methyl isobutyl ketone or 10% methanol, a trace amount of chemical to give it a bad taste (usually Bitrex) and a trace of some type dye.

They are out to screw up all our cheap drinkin' whiskey!!!

BigShed

Originally posted by rogerpjr

For those of you who don't know, methylated spirits of alcohol is approximately 60% ethanol (industrial drinking alcohol) made unsuitable for drinking by adding about 10% methyl isobutyl ketone or 10% methanol, a trace amount of chemical to give it a bad taste (usually Bitrex) and a trace of some type dye. The balance is water.

Hi Roger, Methylated Spirits in Oz is 95% ethanol, see the link to the MSDS above. Yes it has been rendered unsuitable for human consumption by the addition of a small amount of methanol.
I don't know of any ethanol based product in Oz that is that low in ethanol. The same supplier also supplies "100%" Methylated Spirits, this just emans that there is no water at all present, making it more suitable for using with Shellac.

R2

I was alittle worried when I first read your thread, Fred.
However, on reflection I can see your reasoning. Don't forget that metho contains water and can still be a problem. How would the cooling oil used in metal cutting go?

BigShed

Oh no, no way Arthur! That stuff stinks to high heaven, wouldn't be too sure about the effect on CA or epoxy glue when it comes to gluing in the tube either.

Methylated Spirits (95% ethanol), contains only 5% water and you'll find it evaporates away at the same rate as the ethanol.

Have now drilled 8 acrylic blanks this way, none have got hot, no blow outs and all perfect holes. I'm sold.

Buzz

Oil may be better for the metal parts, but would probably cause problems with glue adhesion of the tube in the blank.

I just use a water spray bottle when drilling acrylic, not enough to make a mess, but could be easily cleaned up anyway.

Top Bottom