Drilling 50 cal bullet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jack barnes

I have 4, 50 cal bullets and I need to know what type of drill bit to use. There is some type of hard metal pin in them and all the bits I've tried doesn't even scratch it.

Jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

What type of bullet is it? If it is an armor piercing I am not sure you can drill it.
I use tracer bullets that are mostly lead and drill them with a regular Ti coated twist bit.
Some 50 cal.

pssherman

Jack,
If the drill bits you have don't even scratch it, then it is an armor-piercing bullet. I don't know of any drill bits that could drill through it expect maybe a diamond bit. If you can heat it until it glows red for awhile (maybe 15 to 30 minutes) and then let it cool slowly, you can soften them somewhat. Then you may be able to drill them. If you don't want to go through that much work, you can buy some from me at:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46236

Last edited:
Jack you won't drill it, it is titanium from what I have been told. When I have to use them I part the botton 1/4" or so off and remove the pin. I hold the bullet in a 1/2"collet and part the copper jacket with a carbide cutter. It is not as hard as it sounds if you have a collet chuck. I'll be glad to do yours for you if you don't have the tooling.:)

jack barnes

Thanks Daniel, Paul and Robert.
Paul if I decide to do more 50 cals I'll order some from you
Robert thanks for the offer, I think I'll try it myself.

Jack

Top Bottom