Drilled my first Jr Gent II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldsbed

Just drilled my first Jr Gent II kit and I have my first question. It seems like there is a lot of slop when I dry fit the 27/64" tube into the wood blank, is this normal? It seems like a 13/32" bit would be a better fit. The 1/2" size tube fits just fine in the other blank, nice and snug.

Sorry I have not properly introduced my self...I'm Dave, retired from the Air Force a few years ago and live in Crestview, Florida. I have only been turning pens for a few months and thoroughly enjoy it. I have been studing all the info you all provide in this forum for awhile and it has helped me immensely.
Thanks
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

Hi Dave - Welcome to the group! I grew up in Ft. Walton Beach, just down the road from you. I am in southeast Alabama now.

You are right. The larger tube has too much slop when you use the specified drill size. I don't remember the specifics, but I use the next smaller size bit when I make this pen. Your current pen can still be made, but be sure to fill the "slop" with glue.

Welcome Dave. Sorry to hear you had the prob. Since you live in FL & it is snowing here, perhaps I should just come down and help you get the thing right. If you pay the travel, won't charge you for a house call.[:D]

Goldsbed

Thanks Jim, I was beginning to wonder if I had the wrong size tubes with my kit. I will try using gorilla glue for the first time...should that fill it in better than CA?

I don't know if you really want to come down here Bill....it might get down in the low 30's tonight might even freeze.[:D]

Dave

KC

What would be 'ideal' is if they'd recommended the correct size drill bit when they sold the kit. [:(!]

KC

Goldsbed

Drilled another set of blanks with the 13/32" bit, it was a real tight fit. Took some 400 grit wraped around a smaller drill bit to clear it out some. I guess it's a "tweener" size.

Dave

KC

Between the Jt Gents and Stateman II, I've prolly made 30. The cap bit is a good fit, and maybe sometimes a bit too tight on highly figured material. The barrel bit is sloppy loose. Epoxy does seem to stick 'em in there okay, tho. [;)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by KC
<br />What would be 'ideal' is if they'd recommended the correct size drill bit when they sold the kit. [:(!]

KC

Is this where I repeat my sermon about weird drill bit size conspiracy? [}:)] Those folks are making profits off of us, you would think they would get it right. On the other hand, as long as we keep spending our money with them, why should they? Business has no conscience. [:(!]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Originally posted by KC
<br />What would be 'ideal' is if they'd recommended the correct size drill bit when they sold the kit. [:(!]

KC

Is this where I repeat my sermon about weird drill bit size conspiracy? [}:)] Those folks are making profits off of us, you would think they would get it right. On the other hand, as long as we keep spending our money with them, why should they? Business has no conscience. [:(!]

Frank,

Do you think they deliver the weird drill bits in those black unmarked helicopters? [}:)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Originally posted by KC

KC

Frank,

Do you think they deliver the weird drill bits in those black unmarked helicopters? [}:)]

I know. But if I told you the answer, I would have to kill you. [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom