drill size for Lau Lau click pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KP

Folks -

I purchased 4 of these long click pens awhile back, just getting around to trying them now. There don't seem to be any specific instructions, but the web site has a 3/8 drill bit on the page with these pens. However, I measure the tubes at .366, so they are pretty loose in a 3/8 ( .375) hole. And, of course, my next down drill size is 23/64, and the tube won't fit into that.

For those who've made this kit, what drill size did you use? Thanks -

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KP

Thanks folks. I'll look for a U bit. I've got to make a point of getting one of those huge sets from HF, seems like I always need some weird size.

Meanwhile, I found that I have a 3/8 inch installer bit that's a little undersized, so I'm going to try using a 23/64th and then the installer bit, and epoxy to make up for the little gap.

Ken

BruceA

Glue recommendation for slightly loose tube

Ken,
Rather than epoxy, try Gorilla Glue. It's available in tan and the new white. If you are using it on wood blanks, either will do. For acrylic when using white-painted tubes and inside blanks, the white works great.

Gorilla Glue works best when the blank is wet! The glue reacts with the water and expands and will provide a good fill and adhesion. Amazing what I can learn when I actually read the instructions! Plus, once it dries for a couple hours, it's easier to clean off than epoxy.

I use epoxy only for non-white painted tube acrylic blanks. Started using the white Gorilla Glue for all wood and white painted tube acrylics - the dispenser bottle works much better than Sumo Glue. It also provides easier handling than mixed epoxy, which has a limited application window once it's mixed.

Give it a try - it's only about $5. for a bottle.

Bruce in TN.

makaiolani

Thanks for the answers guys. I haven't had any problems of course with the 3/8", but since the pen does not have any twisting motion, I'd rather have a looser fit than a tight one since I use CA for the tube.

Gary Max

I also use a 3/8---matter of fact I bought one of Aaron's extra long bits---if you are going to make a bunch of these---it is money well spent.

Top Bottom