Drill size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That will depend on which kits you are making, Richard. I use to use the recommended sizes, even when using polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue, in my case) and never had a bad result. I've since stepped the drill bits up just a hair, but I'm not sure it's necessary. For example, I use a 9/32" bit instead of 7mm for slimlines. It was Russ F's suggestion and, for me, it makes glueing in the tubes a bit easier and quicker.

JimGo

If you're looking for a specific size, its going to depend on the type of pen kit you're making (or, more specifically, the tubes in the kit). However, someone may be able to offer guidance as to a general "rule of thumb" regarding how much larger the drill should be than the tube.

dougle40

What kits are you planning to use it on ?
I use nothing BUT polyurethane glue on all my pens and just use the size hole that is recomended for that kit .
You could run into a problem if you use a "Q-tip" to add moisture into the hole because it will tend to make the wood swell up , making the hole smaller . Instead , try just "breathing" through the hole , the moisture in your breath will add enough moisture for the glue to work properly . This is all I do and I haven't had a failure yet .
Hope this helps .

woodscavenger

It also depends on how good your drill bit and press are. I have a couple of cheap bits for my Baron kits and I have just enough excess runout in my setup that the tubes definitely need the poly glue becuase of the excess space. I think you will just have to play with it. I do wrap a section of masking tape around them though so the tube doesn't migrate.

BTW would a littel WD40 in a tube stop the poly from stickiing in the tubes? On my last set of barons I spent more time trying to clean the tubes than I wanted to.

JimGo

WoodScavenger, might also consider vaseline. Not sure if either one will actually work, but it may be worth a try.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Shane--it's easier to plug the tube before you glue and insert it. You can use different materials for plugging, including baseplate wax (available at www.arizonasilhouette.com), bees or other wax, slices of raw potato and more (I'm sure). Just plug each end and go to town with the glue. After it dries, squaring should pop out the plugs.

Hi This Don in Phoenix. 1st post.
I'm runing into a problem with poly glue. I glued up some blanks last night. Came home from work to trim and clean up. I used the 3/8 drill bit in antler and walnut. The reamer got stuck and pulled tube out of antler(too much heat). Tried the walnut, same thing. Should I use a larger bit. Thanks for the help

knottyharry

Hi Don,
If you can give us a little more information as to what you are working on it would be helpful.
What kind of pen kit are you talking about...slimline, etc.
For the slimline, the tubes are 7mm which is just a hair over 1/4 of an inch. If this was the case then my guess is that the 3/8 bit is too big. That would give you almost a 1/16 to each side to fill.
A couple of suggestions... use some emery paper, sand paper to rough up the tubes, and wipe them with alcohol to eliminate any oils that might be on them before gluing the tubes in place.
As mentioned above, you can plug them to help any glue from getting on the inside of the tube. You can also take a q-tip with a drop of 3in1 oil and run it through the inside of the tube.
These are just my thoughts, but if you can give us some more information it might help a lot.
Harry

Rifleman1776

Knottyharry is right, we need to know what kit you are trying. An oversize drill bit is guaranteed to give problems from git go. I stopped using poly glue because it wouldn't hold on some woods. But walnut and antler should be alright. Using a power reamer/trimmer can cause heat build-up which will release the glue. I now use epoxy but, like everything, almost everyone has their favorites. I believe that CA is the top choice among those who post here.

Originally posted by Don in phoenix
<br />Hi This Don in Phoenix. 1st post.
I'm runing into a problem with poly glue. I glued up some blanks last night. Came home from work to trim and clean up. I used the 3/8 drill bit in antler and walnut. The reamer got stuck and pulled tube out of antler(too much heat). Tried the walnut, same thing. Should I use a larger bit. Thanks for the help

Just a follow up on my problem. seems I used the wrong term. Should have said the blank trimmer got stuck. Seems that I can't use a 3/8 blank trimmer on this pen. Tried to put the trimmer on the tube and it too big for the tube to go on. At first I thought the poly may have collapsed the tube. I used the trimmer on a 3/8 tube for the polaris and it worked fine but not on the Gemini. Sorry for the mistake in terms. Thanks to all that helped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom