Drill Press Woes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chiphunters

Okay -- here goes another "newbie" question!!!
We are in need of a drill press for the workshop and are torn between the Grizzly and Harbor Freight bench models. HELP!!!!

Anybody out there with experience and/or opinions about one or the other would be greatly appreciated!!!!

THANKS!!!
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Since you mentioned that you're looking at the bench models, I'll jump in. I have the HF 13", 16-speed bench model, and am very pleased with it. I was lucky enough to catch it on sale for $139., so that makes it even sweeter! It turns true, has more than sufficient power, and 3-1/4" of quill travel, which really makes life as a penturner easy. I've had it about a year now, and have absolutely no complaints or regrets.

TowMater

I have a Grizzley benchtop model DP, paid $179.00+tax for it. It's a beast! You need two people to move it around. I set up a stand that holds my bandsaw and DP table at the same height, I've been very happy with it.

kirkfranks

I also have the HF 16 speed bench model. I can repeat everything that Shannon said.
I suppose that my only second thought on this model was not getting the floor model.
They both have the same powerhead (motor/quill...) just a shorter pipe to seperate the base from the top. The thing really is too big to be a bench model in my mind. I have standard 36" bench and MANY times I end up standing on a folding chair when drilling pen blanks since it is so tall. I am 6' tall so that is not the problem.
I will end up building a 24" high cabinet to put the drill press on. But then again If I had the floor model (usually same price or $10.00 cheaper?) I could save the space since a drill press really does not take up much floor space.
That's my 2 cents.

chiphunters

Thanks everybody for all the input!!!! REALLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Tom, not sure what type after hearing Kirk's reply. Price range will need to be below $200 probably.

Shannon, really am surprised to hear HF's drill press was that impressive.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!
George

drawknife

I don't have either one of those, so I dont' know if this will help. I have the Home Depot Ryobi, variable speed, laser centering device, back light, and it has over 3" of travel. bought it on sale for $100. It is a bench model also but its really heavy. It drills really straight when I hold the blank straight. Gonna try one of Paul in OK's drill press vices when my number comes up.

workinforwood

I think length of pull is important. Will it drill 2 1/4" deep? My drill press is quite old, it was only $50 when it was brand new and it works true every time although it lacks power big time. Thing is, power doesn't matter when drilling pens. Problem I have with my machine is it only strokes down 2", so I have to stop the press and raise the blank in the vise then continue drilling. Not the end of the world, but a minor annoyance to be sure!

I don't know if HF is better or worse than Grizzly...they are both bottom feeder tools. Basically meaning they are the same molds as higher end tools such as a Jet, but use the parts that didn't meet higher end specs. Perhaps the metallurgy wasn't sufficient or the top wasn't flat enough, or some other thing or combination of many things, which most of those don't amount to that much. Worse one is the metallurgy though..they rust much easier if the metal is too soft and full of contaminates. This is why you see so much machinery that looks identical but has a different manufacturer and price. Plus of course the possible added features and perhaps better motors on the higher end models. Better bearings, cutters, belts and anything else, but the basic mold is the same. ...no doubt more than you need to know.

I think that Ryobi is something I'd look into that Terry is mentioning, if you are going to mostly be drilling for pens and such. Maybe I'll go look at one too, so I can have the better pull distance.

Rifleman1776

Jeff said, "I don't know if HF is better or worse than Grizzly...they are both bottom feeder tools. Basically meaning they are the same molds as higher end tools such as a Jet, but use the parts that didn't meet higher end specs."

That is pure, unfounded nonsense.

From my examination of HF tools, they appear to be lower end than almost any other brand I have ever seen. That's my opinion.

From my examination and (extensive) use of Grizzly tools, it is my opinion that they rival, and in many cases exceed, higher priced competitors in quality, features and value.

As for the original thread question regarding bench top drill presses:
I have the Grizzly G7943 bench model drill press. I has been in almost daily use for over six years. It has performed flawlessly and well for whatever I have called on it to do. The only downside is that it is a bench model. The selection was my mistake. A floor model is much more versatile and I regret my choice. As for moving a drill press around. They are heavy but floor models can be put on mobile bases for use in small shops. Good luck.

P.S. All my Grizzly tools perform flawlessly and exceed expectations from competitive similar models. On the rare occasions I have needed service, the company has provided promptly with a smile.

rherrell

I agree 100% Frank. I don't know where you got your information Jeff but it sure doesn't relate to my Grizzly tools. While Grizzly may not be "high end" it's certainly not a "bottom feeder". My shop is full of Grizzly tools and like Frank's they have performed flawlessly for many years. Haven't seen any rust either!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
George, whichever dp you choose, if you mount it on the left end of your bench you should be able to swing the head over the end of the bench for the periodic occassions that you need a floor dp. Mine swings just by loosening two big grubscrews.

Also, loads of us now drill blanks in the lathe, esp long holes. A 4 jaw chuck is ideal but it is quite feasible to hold the square blank securely in a 3 jaw chuck. ( Watch me get flamed for saying that [:D])

workinforwood

Read about it in one of the bigger wood magazines some time ago. They put the molds and features to the test. If you have actual meters to measure flatness for instance, the grizzly surface is not as flat as a Jet. It's not like that matters though as it's a difference in the thousands. If we are talking table saws for instance, you may recieve brass sleeves in a grizzly rather than ball bearings. Again, no problem unless you are using the machine all day every day. You may get a lesser motor in performance and quality as well, where as a jet will usually get you a high quality baldor motor, which again is no big deal unless you are using the machine all day every day. They say the first molds poured have the most slag and automatically go to the grizzly pile for contamination reasons. All these machines are using the same molds made at the same factories in Japan/China. You walk in a show room and you can instantly see they are the same but not at the same time. This is just what the magazine says and does not mean you shouldn't purchase grizzly. I have some grizzly tools. When it comes to price you can't beat it. Wood magazine gives them bonus points all the time because of price and because they know what the average user will use if for. Lets face it, grizzly is plenty good enough for any of us as none of us are producing factory flooring or factory furniture. So, I'm not really down talking Grizzly machines, if that's what you think..just throwing out some "magazine facts" about them to consider. I'll have to see if I can dig that out of the monster stacks of magazines in the barn some time. May have actually been Popular Mechanics now that I think of it. I know it wasn't about knocking a particular company, it was in answer to someones question as to why so many machines look the same but have such a broad price range, something like that. I know they had pictures of the tools, where they measured and disassembled everything, did tests on the metals and all sort of stuff...like Mythbusters I suppose. To me it's a lesson in you do actually get what you pay for, even though you may not need it all.

Rifleman1776

With the recent installation of my new Grizzly G0632 lathe completed (today) I can relate to a series of e-mail exchanges and a long telephone call with Grizzly that sheds some light on what Jeff (incorrectly) stated. I had asked a question about the G0632 that Griz tech support could not answer. (they had conflicting information on web site and catalog) This caused them to do some research at the China manufacturing end and with their engineers. An executive called me and we had a very enlightening conversation. In addition, Griz sent me a $50.00 gift certificate in thanks for bringing the problem to their attention. Part of what Greg (the executive) said, we are on a first name basis now, [;)] involves the bed and motors. Both Griz and Jet motors are Chinese made, not Baldor. But they come from different electric motor factories in China. Greg was unable to offer an opinion on which may be better. The discussion involved the Grizzly G0632 and Jet 16-42, both almost identical lathes. As for the bed, the Grizzly is cast then precision milled steel. The Jet is cast, then milled iron. Both set on cast iron legs. The Grizzly bed is not an inferior reject, it is made to Griz specs. I can say, mine is perfect. And, in my eyes, beautiful.
Grizzly does sell a lot of large production equipment. It is accepted for use in high production factories all around America. Without substantiating facts, there is no reason to criticize Grizzly. I am aware that many people do not like Grizzly because of the ethnicity of the founder and owner. He is of mid-eastern origin. But, he is an American who supports American causes. A biggie, for me, that he supports is the Second Amendment. He is a good American who has succeeded in the American dream. For those who may be too bigoted to buy his products, I say, that's your problem and loss.

rherrell

Enjoy your new toy Frank. I have the 16-42 and you're right about it being almost identical to the G0632. If it performs as well then you have one sweet machine. One question though, why are you sitting at your computer? You should be in the shop getting acquainted with your new friend!

workinforwood

There you go then. Perhaps things changed. I don't work for any of these companies. I know my jet equipment has Baldor motors in them, but I've had them for several years. I'm not too bigoted to buy Grizzly products, that's for sure as I do have some and they have a few other things that I want like that dust collection downdraft table. Maybe Grizzly is on the path to bigger better things. You look at some of their older equipment, not all, but some like their drum sanders...wow, what a mess. But hey...that can be said about anyone I'm sure. I was just relating a story I once read and if it is no longer the case, I apologize, but I tell you it must have been the case at one time as I read it in a popular magazine that did indepth study and I would think they would have had the pants sued off them if they were lying. Of course, there is always the possibility they are lying to you too, for image sake, but that's just another different spin on it all and I'm not into conspiracies. I'm certainly not interested in entertaining the argument any further. I have better things to do than really care about what tool manufacturer is the best.

I'm jealous of the new lathe you got there Frank too. All I have is a little mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom