Drill Press speed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcfalls

What speed (RPM) should I be using on my drill press for my blanks? I imagine is varies somewhat depending on the pen medium, but in general?

I figure this has quite a large bearing on blank blowout and would like to keep it minimal...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

The higher the speed, the quicker things can go ugly wrong.

I drill, currently, everything at 750rpm b/c that is the LOWEST speed the drill press we have (a shopsmith) can do.

If it went down to 500, I'd use 500.

On acrylics, in particular, I prefer slower speeds. I also keep some mineral spirits in a squirt bottle to lube the drill bit as I'm drilling.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Nope I aint even going there[^].
Well since you asked.
Either drill it real slow or real fast or somewhere in between.
You can plunge the bit straight through on one pull or put it in and raise it out a hundred times over 3/4"
Spray it with water or blow it with air.
Brad points are the best but I prefer split points.
If you do a search you'll find the answer to your question.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />The higher the speed, the quicker things can go ugly wrong.

I drill, currently, everything at 750rpm b/c that is the LOWEST speed the drill press we have (a shopsmith) can do.

On acrylics, in particular, I prefer slower speeds. I also keep some mineral spirits in a squirt bottle to lube the drill bit as I'm drilling.
The slower the speed the longer it takes thus creating more heat through friction.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />
The slower the speed the longer it takes thus creating more heat through friction.

Huh? [?]

Are you serious?
Go back and check Russes post.(this has been discussed at length in the past.)
The jist of his comment was there is a lot of drilling and not much work being done.
If the bit is sharp and clean there should be no need to go slow(execpt in acrylics where the friction "melts" the material and it cools before it is extracted).
I wouldn't know I don't do much plastics and .

Dario

Fisrt I didn't read Russ' post about it and I will take your word for it.

I admire Russ a lot (probably one of the most respected here by me) BUT his word is not final in everything...he is still human. No disrespect to Russ or you but this just don't make sense to me (theoretically as well as experience).

Friction is friction...it will generate heat no matter what...but for sure it will generate heat faster the faster you go.

As with everything there is always a happy medium...extremes (slow or fast) is not the answer.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />Nope I aint even going there[^].
Well since you asked.
You can plunge the bit straight through on one pull or put it in and raise it out a hundred times over 3/4"
Hence the start of my original rply.
What ever you think works for you

Paul in OKC

<br />
Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />The higher the speed, the quicker things can go ugly wrong.

Depends on what you are drilling, IMNSHO. There is a balance of speed and feed. To fast rpm at a slow feed, you can get lots of heat from 'rubbing'. You are not going to build up a ton of heat by going slow, but you are in line for the bit to dig in harder, more possibility for a 'grab' and something broke, at the minimum a blown out blank. I drill around 750-1000.
Just my .02

Draken

I've kept my drill press on 500 RPM since day one. So far, the only issue was cracking some cross cut monkeypod which was just on the edge of being big enough for what I wanted to make with it. That is what works for me, so I'll stick with it. Try different speeds out, see what you like best, and stick with it.

Cheers,
Draken

Dario

I just noticed I didn't put an actual reply [:0][:D]

My DP is set at the slowest speed and no problems so far. I am not sure what the RPM is on that setting. [:I]

loglugger

If the bit is sharp and the feed just right then the rpm is not as critical. High rpm faster feed, slower rpm slower feed. Generally the bigger the bit the slower the rpm.
Bob

Sorry Paul doubling up on what you said but I am very slow at typing.
Bob

chigdon

I drilled my first several hundred pens at about 800 rpm and had routine blowouts drilling. Then one day read some post here (can't remember who) stating to drill faster. I jumped up to about 2200 rpm and have yet to ever have a single blowout since. I do use sharp bits and have Paul's vice but it has more to do with the speed. I also don't use a waste block.

Rudy Vey

I drill fast, too and did not have any problems. Depending on the type of wood and drill bit, I back out to clear chips. Certain drill bits (like Berea's parabolic flute bits) clear chips very good. Others not, so you got to find out yourself for your bits. Acrylics I also drill fast, but back out much more than wood and use water dribbled onto the bit and in the hole to cool and lubricate. Dymondwood I drill fast and use my shop vacs nozzle directly on the hole to suck away chips and cool the bit, although I back out here also several times.

In my opinion there is too much time spend here on the drilling issue, check past posts with the search function. Some have great results drilling fast, some not and vice-versa. Same as with turning speed, find out what works best for yourself. I have done my share of production pen turning and always have drilled and turned fast.
The only time I slow my lathe down is for application of finish for pens, like CA or Enduro (and when I turn other stuff than pens, like boxes and bowls).

jaywood1207

Back belt is on the second pulley down and the front belt is on the top pulley. Not sure what the RPM is. I do what feels right. I do slow it down for the barrel trimmer. This works for me and I do the same for both wood and acrylics.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Below is a pict of drill speed results done by an on-line engineer friend of mine on another forum. It is clear to see that the overall speed increase makes for smoother cuts. That test was done in soft pine which will exaggerate the problem of roughness. But it is clear to see that slower speed (or dull bits) will have more a tendency to "tear" the wood, catch and cause blow outs.

image.jpg

The original link is from BT3Central and was posted by LChien; The pict above is posted with permission from him. To see the original link Click here!.

angboy

<br />Nope I aint even going there[^].
Well since you asked.

Sorry to use a quote, but I just had to thank Eagle for making things so clear for me now! (OK, so maybe it didn't clear things up for me, but it certainly gave me a great laugh!) [:D] Now you just need to make a similar response for sandpaper, finish, and a few other things! [^]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />
Originally posted by Dario
<br />
<br />

Huh? [?]

Are you serious?
Go back and check Russes post.(this has been discussed at length in the past.)
The jist of his comment was there is a lot of drilling and not much work being done.
If the bit is sharp and clean there should be no need to go slow(execpt in acrylics where the friction "melts" the material and it cools before it is extracted).
I wouldn't know I don't do much plastics and .
Boy does this site have a great search function!
I was looking for something I had posted a long time ago and ran across this thread.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=8078&SearchTerms=power,point
What I appreciated the most about it was the comment by Russ on page 3.

My Photos
Posted - Jul 24 2005 : 6:00:38 PM US Eastern Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems to me that how much wood is removed per revolution of the drill is what is important. A sharp drill should be removing at least 0.005" per revolution, a chip the thickness of a piece of paper. That means that, at 3000 RPM, we should be going through the average pen blank in about 10-seconds. Anything longer than that, and there's a whole lot of spinning going on, and not much work being done. And that is the recipe for heat.
(it also is helpful to have a good memory and have been around here for over two years) [^]

Kaspar

In addition to the great answers here, here are my own meager thoughts on drilling in general, which are worth what you paid for them.

Speed? It depends on the material and especially, the size of the bit relative to the size of the blank. I generally go at around 750 rpm. If it's an absolute basket case of a blank and I really, really must not crack it, I'll slow the press down. Once, even to 250 rpms. But this is rarely necessary, as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and if you have parabolic flute bits, they say you should run them faster (say 1250rpm), though I have found they do just fine at 750.

I do not use a blank centering vise because sometime the blank may have a sweet part that is off center, and thus I want to drill off center. If you have to keep taking the centering vise off that just defeates the point of having one. You'll just be endlessly putting it back on and recalibrating it. If I had a second press, I would of course use one. In fact, that would be a great idea where composited blanks are concerned.

Some things drill easy and then I don't worry so much about "the touch". When something tricky comes along, an absolute MUST NOT RUIN like drilling a really exceptional 5/8ths white micapearl for a Statesman Jr., or a composited blank that I really need to nail center on, I use "the touch."

First, it is essential that the initial hole be centered. Go in too fast and the bit will "travel" and if you keep it that way, I guarantee friction for the duration of your drilling operation. I don't hesitate to do a bit of realigning around the bit, if travel occurs.

Once I have a good centered hole well established (1/4" to 3/8" in), I use a light pull into the material using just the weight of my arm, as I visualize a long perfectly uniform spiral going down the blank, yielding a thin, accordian-like piece of material "milled out", really, by the 135 degree cutting edges. (Norseman bits are pricy but very, very good for this, IMNHO) If I do it right, I see a long, wavy piece come out during early drilling, and on bit extractions. Toward the end, I use a cold damp sponge to cool the bit every second bit removal, and on acrylics, if I get any sqeaking at all (which almost never occurs until I'm at least an inch into it) I don't hesitate to use an eyedropper of water (even soapy water, depending on how delicate I think the blank is) to lubricate. Too much though and the rules of hydraulics take effect and you have to push through water resistance and get water everywhere, to cut the material. Just something to be aware of.

On wood, the water is a bit more problematic, since, as I'm sure we all know, some, though not all, woods expand when wet.

To avoid tear out at the exit hole, I avoid exit holes. I always leave the blank long and use the depth guides. Which are there for a reason. A good reason. Yes, you have to make another cut on the blank after drilling, but it's not like your saw isn't doing most of the work, is it?

It really doesn't take long to do any of this, and again I only do it when the blank is tricky in some way. On smaller bits, (J, O, U) I find the parabolic flute bits are really good at clearing materials, though they are more susceptible to travel. On the bigger bits, I've tried all types (Fisch Vortex, brad point) and I don't see that they really do it any better than a good, sharp 135 degree Norseman.

But that's just me.

loglugger

I didn’t see this mentioned and a little reluctant to bring it up. I have always used an air hose with 40 to 90 PSI aimed down along side the drill bit to get rid of the chips and to help keep the bit cooler. Safety glasses a must. You still need to back out once in awhile depending on what you are drilling. Most of the maple that I drill is straight through at about 1200 RPM without backing out accept maybe one time just before going out the bottom. I have done enough for 20 slimeline pens at a time and been able to hold the bit in my hand comfortably. I have never done acrylics but think it would work if it kept it cool enough. Different strokes for different folks.
Bob

vbatwork

Everyone has a method that works for them. Try some out and see what works for you. I'm fairly new to pen turning and previously drilled everything at around 1500 including plastics without trouble. I always drill over a scrap block, and have a new set of sharp split points. I only had a (BIG) problem drilling birdseye maple. This was probably the hardest wood I've drilled and I was blowing out a LOT of blanks. Once I reduced the speed to 500 (my lowest setting) as per the advice on here, the problem went away.

GreggR

I wish I could keep my mouth shut, but I just have to weigh in on the drilling and the friction! [:D] When we drill a hole in a soft material (like wood, hard rubber, bakelite, etc) the fibers do one of three things depending on a number of factors; pull from the hole wall, crush against the hole wall or shear off at the hole wall. Which happens depends on how sharp the drill is, the drill geometry, the density and condition of the material, the natural oils in the wood, the pressure employed and the RPM of the drill. The deal is the drills we use don't have keen enough edges, or are soon dull from all the silicas, minerals etc in our wood. In reality we all drill with relatively dull tools - even the brand new ones! This means fibers are crushed or pulled when the cutting edge goes around the hole. This leaves the fibers in the hole to rub on the drill. More speed, more friction, thus more heat ONLY if you don't feed fast enough (rubbin' is not racin' in machining - it's heatin'!). And drilling is funny... consider the the closer to the point of the drill we go the lower the surface footage is for any given RPM, so the cutting condition at the outer diameter of the tool is worlds different than the condition near the point.

Consider also pushing any slightly dull drill down causes a vector force that also pushes the material to the side, especially at the corners. Heat is a normal by-product of any cutting operation. The question is do we take the heat out in the cut material (ideal situation) or does the heat transfer into the drill. One or the other is going to happen. I like to take the heat out in the chip, regardless of whether I'm cutting Stainless, Inconel, Titanium or Hastelloy... or wood. So in wood this means FEED fast using FAST RPM and retract just before the flutes pack with chips. The rule is fewer revs while buried in the material reduces the heat. So what's fast? In machining references for manual drilling a 1/4" HSS drill in hard wood it's 1800 RPM.

Boring end grain material with a standard brad point drill with outlying spurs can be a problem because the spurs are not needed. The spurs drag in end grain. You can modify the drill by grinding the spurs off following the existing back clearance. Then, regrind the cutting edge with a 7 to 15 degree angle from the O.D. of the drill, tilting downwards to the point, again following the existing back clearance. This is called an acme cut. Now the brad point enters the material followed by the outlining O.D. (where the spurs were), which sizes the hole without dragging. You will still require a 4" or up twist length to clear the chips (if you like pushing straight through). Use 1700 to 1725 RPM in hard wood. One note - the modified drill will not work as well boring cross grain.

For a 7mm (0.291 inches)HSS drill, it's generally published by the drill manufacturers, and adopted by pro's, to use 1800RPM for drilling soft wood and 1000RPM for hard wood. But this is recommended assuming cross-grain drilling, not end-grain. End grain needs to be drilled at higher RPMS and faster feeds. Check out the link below, it shows an RPM table based on drill diameter. These are good starting numbers, if you add 30% for end-grain drilling.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/drilspds.html

Specialty tool manufacturers catering to those of us with high-speed spindle CNC machine access recommend the following geometry for wood drilling. I've used both and really like the one on the right - it cuts fast, on-center and leaves a nice straight hole in a single plunge in end grain. But that's at 18,000 RPM and 300 inches per minute feed in hard maple. My drill press at home won't do that. [:(] But we can still apply the geometry - it works well at less than 2000 RPM too.

2006102002024_Wood%20Drills.gif
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom