Drill press question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluesguitar

I'm new to the forum and to penturning so I hope you'll be patient...I know this has been dealt with before but I'm looking for some advice on a drill press.

I looked at a small Craftsman unit with a 2 inch spindle stroke and realized that since the blanks are going to be longer than 2", I needed a better plan. I've been making some slimlines with the pre-drilled PSI rosewood blanks but I'm ready to move up!

It looks like there are several decent, inexpensive presses with spindle strokes of 2 3/8 inches (I've looked at the Skil and the HF models) and I'm figuring I can do OK with that for most pens but wanted to check with you guys. I really don't have room for a floor drill press.

I know I can drill with my lathe but I'd like the press for other projects as well.

Thanks,

Mitch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

There is a Ryobi at Home Depot with a 3" stroke that is under $200.

I do most my drilling on the lathe but bought this drill press recently for other projects and some pen drilling as well.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Drill Press

I'm new to the forum and to penturning so I hope you'll be patient...I know this has been dealt with before but I'm looking for some advice on a drill press.

I looked at a small Craftsman unit with a 2 inch spindle stroke and realized that since the blanks are going to be longer than 2", I needed a better plan. I've been making some slimlines with the pre-drilled PSI rosewood blanks but I'm ready to move up!

It looks like there are several decent, inexpensive presses with spindle strokes of 2 3/8 inches (I've looked at the Skil and the HF models) and I'm figuring I can do OK with that for most pens but wanted to check with you guys. I really don't have room for a floor drill press.

I know I can drill with my lathe but I'd like the press for other projects as well.

Thanks,

Mitch

If you can find one with 3 inch movement it will work better. A lot of folks use their lathe for drilling too. It will bore truer than a low priced drill press

bluesguitar

I'm interested in the best way to use the lathe for drilling blanks. I have a pretty basic Harbor Freight variable speed lathe. I do have an MT1 chuck arbor and a drill chuck for it that I use to make my fishing lures. What else would I need to use the lathe for drilling pen blanks, preferably without spending a lot of cash?
Thanks so much.
Mitch

pinelumber

Drill press

I too had the same problem I got the Ryobi 12". It works great also it has a laser that is dead on. It also has a digital display for RPM. the speed adjustment works fine also. Just my 3 cents work. (inflation you know)

Dennis
Pine Lumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn::bananen_smilies022:

bluesguitar

I do have a Home Depot nearby so I could check that Ryobi 12" out. Sounds like you got a good one but online reviews seem pretty variable in terms of build quality. It looks like a pretty big unit and I do have a small space. I'm thinking more about the lathe as a drilling option.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Before you buy a ryobi, let me check the one sitting in my spare room at the shop, I may be able to save you a lot of money. The one I have is like new.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Don't knock a press only because of the spindle travel. I have a press with 2" travel and routinely make the Long Click kit with a single barrel of 4"+ to drill through. I simply drill as far as it goes, slide a block under the vise and repeat. I'm not saying it is not better to have a longer travel, only that it is not the only reason to pass on a press. My opinion, do with as you wish.

JimB

I think first you need to decide what you want to be able to do. In your first post you said you wanted a DP becuase you wanted to do other things with it other than drill pen blanks. In a later post you say you are leaning towards drilling on the lathe.

Once you decide what you want to be able to do then you will get better advice.

To answer your question about what you need to drill on the lathe - you need something to hold the blank in the headstock such as a scroll chuck or collet chuck. You also need a drill chuck in the tail stock but it sounds like you already have that.

bluesguitar

Sorry about that waffling, you're right about needing to decide DP or no DP.

Starting to feel like I could live without the DP and since I have a chuck for my lathe already I'm halfway there?

Sorry but I've vague on some of the terms you're using. At a minimum what do I need to hold the blank?

LeeR

[...]
Sorry but I've vague on some of the terms you're using. At a minimum what do I need to hold the blank?

Assuming you have a scroll chuck, then add a set of pin jaws. I have a Nova G3, and bought a set of pin jaws for mine. Have not drilled a blank on my drill press since then. Others choose to turn them until round, such as to 3/4" diameter, then use a collet chuck (with a 3/4" collet), and chuck the blank for drilling.

Note, though, for a scroll chuck, your blank either needs to be square, or round, or the scroll check may not grip the blank very well, if at all. But, that is not really a big issue. Just turn between centers until round, then chuck it and drill it. I have a lot of scraps from making platters and cutting boards, and for those that are close to square, rather than run through my table saw to square them, I prefer to just use the latter method of rounding them, then drilling them.

bluesguitar

What I have now is a HF variable speed mini lathe and a drill chuck (MT1). I mainly turn fishing lures but excited about penturning now.

Looking at other threads and what you guys are saying, path of least resistance and probably cost is using the lathe.

Looking at the PSI dedicated pen blank chuck, looks like I'd need another MT1 arbor?

Top Bottom