Drill Press Centering Jig Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

I remember reading in wood magazine i think it was mentioned in Cody's article that there was a review on centering jigs in issue ###. Now of course when i want the issue to go reread it to see if it actually had that i cant find it. So I was wondering if anyone knows of the issue # or has the review.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

I just looked on Wood magazine article index and the only one that came up was for drill balls on the dp. Are you trying to center your vise for blank drilling? I use a round 6' piece of rod then adjust my vise to center. I hope that this helps.

cnccutter

Ryan, its pretty simple

as stated above, place a 1/4" rod in your drill press chuck.

place vise on drill press table loose. lower the rod down into the vise and lock the quill in the lowered position.

now clamp the vise to the rod

now clamp the vise down to the table.

now un-clamp the vise from the rod

raise and remove the rod and you should be centered in your vise.

this all revolves around you having a pen vise that moves equally away on both side from the drill.

make sense?

Erik

Thanks for checking.

Yes i am looking for a vise for blank drilling any suggestions?

ToddMR

Thanks for checking.

Yes i am looking for a vise for blank drilling any suggestions?

Ryan I thought you ordered the one like I have from PSI? It worked wonders for me. I know you said a week or two ago it was on the way to you. Did you not end up getting it?

sbwertz

I bought the centering vise from craft supplies. I had problems with it not drilling straight. The top hole would be aligned, but the bottom would be off center. At first I thought it was the drill press, but when I removed the vise and used a square, the drill press was vertical. The hole was off front-to-rear. Finally I took a caliper and measured the bottom plate in the vise. It was thicker in the back than it was in the front. I shimmed it a little on the front edge and now it drills perfectly straight holes.

Another tip. I have an MDF Drill press table and the vise was VERY slippery on the table so I put a thin non-skid pad under it. I actually shimmed it by putting two thicknesses of the non-skid material under the front edge. I used the thin rubber non-skid stuff you get in rolls, it is about the thickness of a sheet of cardstock.

Sharon

beck3906

You should also check that the chuck is aligned with the table. Bend a piece of wire in this shape (Connect the corners) Coat hanger wire works well. Sorry, trying to edit to get the shape to look correctly and it won't save. Basically it should look like a double-L

|
_
|

Insert one end into the chuck. Spin the chuck and ensure the other tip touches the drill press table around the complete circle. If it doesn't, you'll need to align the table to ensure the bit is truly square to the table top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom