Drill press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

I know you will get many opinions here but the most important feature in a drill press is the spindle travel. You want at least 2.5 - 3.0 inches. You can do with less but its a real pain.

John

mrcook4570

Almost any drill press will do, but you will appreciate the convenience of one with at least 3" quill travel. Like most tools, get the best you can afford.

kgwaugh

Originally posted by rhahnfl

Watch for a Steel City. It has the longest quill travel I've seen... 6 inches. I absolutely love mine.

I am "sorta" in the hunt for a drill press, but have no personal experience whatsoever with Steel City. However, as you say, they do have a model or two with great quill travel, and that would be helpful to me, as I do a lot of woodwork besides pens.

Any more you can tell me about yours?, likes, dislikes, etc.

GeneW

karlkuehn

Banned
My first press was the cheapie Harbor Freight one with only 2" of spindle travel. I've since upgraded to the 3.25" travel, and it's made a world of difference. Shortly after I drilled my first blank, I knew I had made mistake with the cheap press. I used it for 6 months, fighting it the whole time before my dad saw what I was up against and surprised me with an early Christmas gift. Carbera/Atlas/Polaris blanks used to be a nightmare, but now I just zip right through them. :)

The new one that he got me is also from Harbor Freight, but it's built much better and is dead-on accurate. My little cheeseball one was not built right, and the table on it wasn't quite square to the chuck/bit.

Do yourself a favor and get a good press from the get-go.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by jedgerton

I know you will get many opinions here but the most important feature in a drill press is the spindle travel. You want at least 2.5 - 3.0 inches. You can do with less but its a real pain.

John

I'm not sure quill travel is the most important feature in a drill press. It is a major consideration for penturners but other features and overall quality trump that one feature, IMHO.

esheffield

Has anyone else seen the variable speed DP at Tractor Supply? I was in there a couple of weeks ago and they had a floor model (15"?) with variable speed and tach readout for under $200. I didn't get the model # at the time and I haven't been able to find anything about it online - doesn't seem to be listed at their web site. Seems like a heck of a deal if it's any good (assuming I didn't hallucinate it!)

Top Bottom