Drill press?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jay_bobo

Do I need a drill press to drill the holes in a blank or can I just use a hand held drill and maybe in a while I could buy one. Any help is nice thanks! I'm new so please anything is good!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Interestingly, woodcraft has just introduced a pen blank vise that you can use a hand drill with.

Expensive and no idea how well it works.

I drill in the lathe. Others use drill press.

Karl_99

I use a heavy duty bench top drill press to drill blanks. I am working on a second lathe so I may try drilling with that.

I would think it would be very difficult to drill straight and true with a hand drill, even if it was in some type of jig.

Sabaharr

If all you want to drill is your pen blanks for now then all you need is a four jaw chuck for the head stock and a drill chuck for the tailstock. There are many articles and tutorials on here showing what you need and how to do it. The four jaw will also have th added benefit of allowing you to turn other objects like anything you can start off with a tennon on the end. This would include christmas ornaments, small bowls, whatever your imagination can come up with. I have a drill press in my shop but it isn't used at all for pen making.

Top Bottom