Drill Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter 357

I have been learning a lot from this group. I just posted by first 2 turning of pens. These I find easy and fun. I am having 1 problem when drilling the hole for the tube the drill is walking and the hole is not true at the bottom. I am using a drill press to drill the hole. I have to drill about 2 inches. Any ideas on how to keep the drill bit from walking. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KKingery

Peter - one other thought - (I had this problem) - I also had problems when I first started drilling blanks using my old drill press. Turns out that the table was'nt square to the bit - you might want to check it with a mitre gauge to make sure it's true and square - the second thought is to make sure that your shaft on the drill press itself is straight and not bent.

daledut

You have already gotten good advise.

I would add that a secure holding method is important too. There are a number on the market or you can make your own. I have found that suporting the blanks long most of its length helps a lot.

Also make sure the bit is sharp. And experiment with the speed, I find that about 1200 rpm works best for most of my stuff. I slow it down if I am using a large bit like for the Gentleman's pen.

I use the PSI self centering vice now but I used a home made jig for quite a while before I got it.

If you need specific help in making something post your questions here and we will make sure you get on the right track.

G

Even though you are going to mill the pen, it helps if the end of the blank is parellel to the table

jwoodwright

It's all been said already, table square to sharp drill bit. Solid method to support blank, drill slow and clear bit often.

A bit will sometimes try and follow grain... Easiest path. [8D]

How are you holding the blank[?]

Gary

Most of the bits I use for pen blanks are the Norseman Magnum bits. They are top-quality bits. They will drill as straight as any brad point. IMHO.

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
I 'bottom' the drill bit in the chuck and because I don't have enough throw to drill all the way through the blank in one shot, I lift the drill table not lower the bit in the chuck. I think the less the drill bit protrudes from the chuck the less tendency it has to 'flex' or follow a grain line. This doesn't always cure a wandering bit but every little 'bit' helps[:)]

esheffield

Anybody drill blanks on the lathe? That's what we did in the woodcraft class. Bit in the Jacobs in the tailstock, blank in the Nova chuck. I have the same problem as Tom - drill press doesn't have enough travel to go all the way through. It's a Harbor Freight deal, and there's a lot more play in the shaft than I like as well. So I may give the lathe drilling technique a go at home, though I'm no too sure about my lathe's accuracy for this kind of thing. It's a Ridgid with the large single tube bed and there's a little side-to-side play in the tailstock. Maybe I can adjust it a bit better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom