drill lathe jig thingy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Hi everybody.

I'm a fountain pen junky. I've spent the last 2 years buying and selling and giving away - very little collecting b/c I'm a user more than a collector. I'm an artist and I USE my pens a lot. I love to draw.

Anyways - over the course of the last 2 years I've decided that full on kitless customs are where I want to focus my attention - and to work towards that goal, I want to begin turning my own pens.

My dad has an old (good) wood lathe that I might be able to pry from his possession (it hasn't been used in probably 20 years) and if it's decent, then I'll have a lathe - but if not, I'm really looking at this:
http://toolmonger.com/2007/03/28/drill-powered-mini-lathe-lathe-turning-under-30/
It's a little under $100 right now, but would it be worth a darn?
Has anybody used it?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Well - if I get one I will certainly post a review - but I'd hate to get one and not be able to use it b/c it's too wobbly or cheap or whatever.

KenV

For kitless pens you are probably going to want more precision and control (and less painful learning curve) of better quality gear.

Metal lathe precision will be your friend, and entry level with Taig or Sherline might be more successful in close tolerances and threading. (Watchmakers lathes and collets are also capable of doing good work -- but WW collets are expensive)

Some people do great work with crude gear, but generally because they invest time and effort working around limits of the equipment.

watch_art

That's what I thought - and what I needed to hear. Won't be getting this one. Off to my dad's this afternoon to look at his lathe. It's an oldy, but a goody. His dad worked for the State of Massachusetts as a carpenter in one of the prisons for 30 some years and my dad has all sorts of fantastic (old) shop equipment. Grampa was also a carpenter on the USS George M Bibb during WW2. At least I think that's what he did...

Save your money Talk to dad and start out with his. Even if you just borrow it to play with for awhile. Your going to need tools so stick your money in them. Give Dad your first good pen. Merry xmas

Top Bottom