Drill Doctor problems...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgray

Hey there.

My bits, after being sharpened, are drilling larger holes.

I'm using the Drill Doctor exactly as the directions say, and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm generally not splitting the points.

No idea.

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

I am not a drill doctor fan, haven't been since trying the first one several years ago. Even with new parts from the maker (free, even after the thing was about 5 years old) trying to help the problem out, still doesn't sharpen worth a flip. That said this was for metal working. But the issue was that it never made a good point. The bit always wanted to 'wonder' a bit at the start of the hole. It also sharpened the bits with a little negative rake on the flute of the bit. You might try to rotate the thing that you set the bit in before closing the collet. Changes the rotation of the bit at the start. Also make sure you are sharpening the same nuber of 'strokes' on each flute.
Clear as mud =8^).

bgray

Mine is an older model. (not sure which one). It's probably 5-6 years old, and I just recently decided to get it out.

Maybe the newer ones have worked out the kinks?

Randy_

Could be operator error....could be a problem with the unit?? I have one that old and it works just fine. You really haven't given us enough info to diagnose the problem.

I wouild suggest you get on the phone to the customer service people at DD. They should be able to help you.

bgray

I agree that I haven't given you enough information, and I apologize.

I guess that I was hoping that oversized holes was a common problem, and that someone could give me the "smack-the-side-of-your-head-cause-I'm-so-stupid" cure.

I will revisit the instructions, double-check everything...

great12b4ever

The instructions I have with my 5 year old drill doctor had a section dealing with that issue. Are you sure you are setting the angle right. If the drill originally came with a 118 degree angle, it is usually best to stay with that same angle. If you change it to the 135 degree angle, it SOMETIMES (not always) can cause a bit to wander, especially if you have a heavt hand on the the drill. It seems as tho the flutes of the drill, and the point are all realted to tha angle of the cutting edge. You must also make sure you are cutting the same number of strokes on each side Consistently. (same pressure, same grip everything). Otherwise, you can take more off one side than the other and this will slightly change the point of the bit and therfore make it wander, ergo oversize holes. Hope this helps. If it doesn't, call them. They will work with you.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom