Drill Doctor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Have used when I was working. Havent spent for personal use yet. Well worth the money and works well if instructions are followed. Remember, a sharp bit is better than overheating a $10 blank and blowing out the end.

jttheclockman

It is so funny that this question came up because I was going to ask it myself today. I was drilling some blanks yesterday and was thinking how much you really need a sharp bit for some of these woods and acrylics and was thinking why not get a Drill Doctor. Would it pay off rather than keep getting new bits around $6 0r $7 a pop???

So to piggyback on the question Do you use one and if so What model do you have??? How well does it do in sharpening the bits??? Will it sharpen all sizes, even these odd ball sizes used for pens????

alphageek

Former Moderator
I just got one... I havn't used it alot yet, but so far so good. (mines the 350x)
A couple of notes:
- I need to figure out how to convert a brad to a twist yet...it won't do brad point (I think i just need to grind off the tip).
- As long as its smaller than the max size, then yes our screwy sizes work fine.
- Its not too hard to use - but I need to play some more to perfect it.

Last edited:

dirtrider

My incredibly sweet wife bought one for my b-day last year, and I love it! I spent an evening learning how to use and shortening (er...sharpening bits). It only takes a few minutes to bring a dull bit back to life once you learn how to set it. I don't know if it will do brad point bits though, I haven't tried these.

jttheclockman

Please add your model that you are using. There are many different models and I think it has to do with add ons. Not sure.

hughbie

ok, i own an XPK model.....it does all bit sizes up to 1/2 inch.....can go bigger if i wanted to buy a larger 'chuck'.
i LOVE mine. it only took a few minutes to learn how to operate it......and like they advertise.....shaprens in less than 60 seconds. my model also does split point bits.....
i can't do them by hand whatsoever......this takes the thought out of it.....and back to drilling
my model costs around $100 at lowes

CaptG

I got the dd750 about 18 months ago. I could not do without it now. It takes a little practice keeping light pressure on the drill holder and the cam surface that it rides on, but if you read the directions it is very easy to use. DD750 goes up to 3/4 inch dia. drills bits. I got mine on ebay, a buy it now for $128.00 with free shipping, again 18 months ago. Get one, you will not be sorry. And spring for the 750, the first time you need that sharp bit that is over 1/2 inch, (and you will) you will save the cost of a new bit. And those bits over 1/2 start getting pricey real fast.

Woodlvr

Ditto what Gary said. Sears sometimes has a pretty good sale price on it. Check Amazon and Craigslist, just a thought. :)

Randy_

.....- I need to figure out how to convert a brad to a twist yet...it won't do brad point (I think i just need to grind off the tip)......
That is correct.± The wheels for the DDs are not so cheap so you want to conserve them as much as possible. Use your regular bench grinder to reshape the tips of your brad point bits to approximately the shape of a normal twist drill bit and then do your final sharpening on the DD. Use the split point option is you have it. Supposed to make the bits drill straighter. I just purchased a 500; but haven't had a chance to try the split point option yet so am just repeating what others have posted.

mick

I've got the 750 I couldn't do without it. The ability to sharpen the larger bits well pays the difference in price.

Randy_

Please add your model that you are using. There are many different models and I think it has to do with add ons. Not sure.

For guys like yourself who are really serious about sharpening their drill bits, there are really only two choices.....either the 500 or the 750. Only difference between the two is the size bit they will habdle.....1/2" or 3/4". If you don't have drill bits larger than 1/2" and don't anticipate getting any, then the 500 is the way to go. Should your needs change later on, you can purchase an accessory that will increase the capacity of your 500 to 3/4" bits......costs about $25 IIRC. If you already have drill bits larger than 1/2" get the 750 and never worry again about working with bits that are "not quite sharp."

jttheclockman

Randy

Thanks for breaking that down. i did not have a chance to visit their web site. The line of work I do does involve larger bits so I am leaning toward the 750 and with the great indorsement it sounds like something I should have had awhile ago. As long as it is able to sharpen all the weird size bits we seem to need to make all these different pen kits. Boy do I mean weird sizes. When you start getting into 32's and 64's, you would think we are rocket scientists. You would think there would be some sort of uniformity but I guess that would be too easy. Thanks for the replys and hope the person did not mind me adding to their post.

jkeithrussell

I like the brad point bits, so I'm not sure about getting a DD. I like the idea, and I know for sure that a lot of my bits are dull. Still, not being able to retain the brad points is a negative for me.

jttheclockman

Is there any tool that can sharpen brad points as well??? None that I know of but maybe someone has an idea. Glad this topic got started.

Randy_

I'm sure a commercial sharpening shop could sharpen them; but I have never seen a tool that the home shop could use to do it.

You might be able to touch them up for a while the same way you do the cutting edges of the barrel trimmers with this tool:

http://theconsumerlink.com/DIAMONDMACHININGTECHNOLOGY/detail/TCL+FFF/112

but sooner or later you would have to replace the bit as commercially sharpening single bits is just not economically viable.

Last edited:

randyrls

That is correct.± The wheels for the DDs are not so cheap so you want to conserve them as much as possible. Use your regular bench grinder to reshape the tips of your brad point bits to approximately the shape of a normal twist drill bit and then do your final sharpening on the DD.

To join the thread; I once had to "shorten" a large drill bit because the mill I use to drill blanks didn't go high enough. I just cut off part of the shank with a cut-off wheel held in a side hand grinder, then cut off the tip to the approximate angles I needed. A few minutes at the bench grinder, and then DD worked perfectly. You need to inspect the bit to ensure the two flutes are symmetrical and even.

JohnU

I like the brad point bits, so I'm not sure about getting a DD. I like the idea, and I know for sure that a lot of my bits are dull. Still, not being able to retain the brad points is a negative for me.
Even if you cant keep the brad point, once the bits go dull, they can be sharpened to an angle point. At least you get more use out of them.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
we have a 750 in the shop. it was bought to test the drill bits for the group buy and was way overdue. This thing has helped a lot of my bits that were going to be used for stirring sticks. has definetly saved us some money that would have gone to replacing drill bits. Buy one, and try it, if you don't like it return it, that is Home depots policy.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I have the XPX (Lowe's) and it works great. It only will accept up to 1/2" bits however. I recently bought the larger chuck ($40 was the cheapest price I could find) so I can now go larger. I spent a total of around $140 for the XPX and the large chuck so you can buy the 750 for that. I would go the 750 route if I had to do it over.

If you decide to buy one go the 750 route right off the bat. I bought the 750 about 6 months ago and have been pleased with the results. After buying the drill bit set from Daniel I was glad I had the 750 as there are a few bits larger than 1/2". I just had to buy a larger chuck to use them on my lathe. I bought my DD from Amazon with free shipping for around $135.00. Drilling blanks is like turning, sharp bits and light touch.:)

I picked up the XPK at Lowes for $79.99, during the summers house rebuild. I still haven't gotten the hang of it. Hopefully the next local IAP meeting will fix that.

I saw that the local Lowes has the XPK marked down to $79.99 again.

leehljp

Member Liaison
For a people who are skilled and good at hand sharpening, most of them can do a better job than the drill doctor. These folks are few and far between though. Otherwise, the DD is better than dull bits or purchasing new bits just because one is dull.

I have the 750 and have had it about 5 years. It has more than paid for itself.

YORKGUM

We've had a drill doctor at work for years. Works great. I actually took a totally broken drill bit and put a brand new edge on it.

bud duffy

I have three of them 2 750s and one that you put a drill on to run it i dont recall the model number . Kinda ironic to use a drill to sharpen your drill bits huh!!!! I bought that one when they first came out and liked it then upgraded when the occasion arose.

I got tired of lugging one back and forth between the shops so each now has thier own.

Bud

Top Bottom