Drill Chucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pens By Scott

This is likely a dumb question, but hey, here goes....
I am looking at picking up some new add-ons for my lathe:

- A chuck, with add on jaws and;
- A Drill Chuck

On the Drill Chuck, I see Drill Chucks for sale (with Taper) and "Live" Drill Chucks for sale.

The intended purpose of these purchases are to continue to make pens.
Currently, I drill on my drill press, and use a MT#2 Mandrel for the pent turning. I may branch out and try my hand at the occasional bowl, vase or Christmas ornament (something new, but not my primary focus).

My question, What if any, is the difference between a Drill Chuck and a Live Drill Chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
A live drill chuck will rotate like a live center /a drill chuck will be stationary in the tail stock while the blank spins the drill bit will not just the opposite on the live chuck.somebody else will probably be able to explain it better than me.i use the plain chuck for drilling on the lathe.Here is a link to the live drill chuck you should be able to understand it better by the pic .
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LDC2MT.htm
i think the live drill chuck is more for holding where as the standard chuck is for drilling

Last edited:

Robert Taylor

the "live" chuck is not used for drilling. it is used for supporting pieces in the tailstock in place of a live center. imo you do not want a live chuck if you are going to be drilling pen blanks on the lathe.

Pens By Scott

Thanks Mark,

Sounds logical... piece spins while the drill bit stays stationary. If the drill bit were to spin, then it wouldn't be able to drill... I think, so, this poses likely my next dumb question, what's the purpose of a Live Drill Chuck?

Pens By Scott

So Bob,
If I were doing a longer piece, like a spindle, with a tenon on both ends, a Live Drill Chuck could hold the tenon on the tail stock for support, while the Head Stock would have a lathe chuck...

Parson

I bought a #2 morse taper key-type drill chuck at harbor freight for a fraction of what they're selling for elsewhere and it's holding up well.

MobilMan

I use my drill press for all my pens. Set up correctly, it will drill as accurate as a lathe. That's what a dp is made for. You can get a Nova chuck from Woodcraft.

Parson

I drill on my lathe but not for the sake of accuracy. I refuse to buy crappy tools and I cannot afford a quality drill press with a 3+ inch spindle travel... so I do it the harder, longer way on the lathe.

Top Bottom