Drill Chuck tolerances

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BarrierBob

This may seem like a silly question, but there goes. What is an acceptable runout or tolerance of a headstock mounted drill chuck? I have two differant drill chucks that I use on my Jet 1220 lathe. I set up a dial indicator and I get 10 to 12 thou. runout at the end of the chuck. I know it's bad, I can see the wobble. What is a good ,or acceptable runout? I want to switch over to a collet chuck, but funds are low right now. Is there someone that has a good drill chuck that is within tolerance out of the box? ( of course with a decent price! I have checked runout at the head stock and it is great, so I know the problem is in both of the drill chucks. One takes a chuck key, the second is a keyless. Any help would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
Have you tried cleaning your spindle bore?
Sometimes things can get in there.
Are there any burrs on the tapers of the chucks?

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Drill chucks can get a bit of runout after they have been used and abused; and some of them never had it in the 1st place. Your 0.012" is a bit much. You should expect something in the range of 0.003" to 0.004". There are just too many machined parts to expect any better without paying a lot of money.

Over the years I have found the "Golden Goose" brand sold by Craft Supplies, and now at Woodcraft stores, for about $30 to be consistently the most accurate drill chuck available for less than $100.

Others may have a different recommendation, but that's mine.

stevers

I picked up the drill chuck from AS. From the box it had in the range of 2to3 thou at the end. At the shaft, it was even closer. A little off the subject, I have an old B&D bench top DP that has less then a thou at the chuck. A good one can be quite accurate. Not like a colllet chuck or the like, but acceptable.

BarrierBob

Thanks for the replies. I purchased both chucks over about 1 year timeframe from PSI. I can see now that bargains don't pay off! I think I will be checking both of the sources noted for a good replacement chuck. maybe in the future a collet chuck will find it's way into my shop. thanks again for input.

johnnycnc

Bob,
Just another option here,if you decide to
purchase,I have drill chucks on my website.
I could check one for runout if you like.:)

johnnycnc

OK,
I get .002 to .003 runout on my chuck.
I had to do a real quick grind on the tail end of arbor,
BARELY enough to clear inside of headstock bore at end.
(chop saw at 10:45 pm would get the law called on me!)

The arbors are too long to seat correctly in MY lathe
headstock,and as such, I offer to cut them down.
Is there a chance your arbor length is holding your chucks out?
It is possible,and they will probably go in enough to drive and sort of LOOK ok,
but runout will be horrible.
Check yours out,and let us know.:)
Let me know if I can help in any way.

BarrierBob

Johnny,
My lathe is a Jet 1220. The #2MT fits fine. I just ordered the chuck, a deluxe cigar burhing set and a dead center. I look forward to getting started with between center turning. Thanks for your help and advise. Bob R.

johnnycnc

Bob,
Thanks,I just got in from work and saw your post.
I'll get you mailed out first thing in the morning.
I will be sure to include the same chuck and arbor
that was checked for runout,along with the other things.
I think you will enjoy betwen centers very much.
Take care,and feel free to email any time.:)

Top Bottom