Drill chuck in headstock or tailstock?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If I'm using an MT2 ER-32 Collet chuck to hold the material being drilled and an MT2 Jacobs chuck to hold the drill bit on my mini lathe, is there any practical difference between having the drill chuck in the tailstock versus in the headstock?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Originally posted by rincewind03060

If I'm using an MT2 ER-32 Collet chuck to hold the material being drilled and an MT2 Jacobs chuck to hold the drill bit on my mini lathe, is there any practical difference between having the drill chuck in the tailstock versus in the headstock?

The only practical difference is that the jacobs chuck in the tail stock doesn't spin and your chuck is more likely to fit the head stock. Makes it easier to see. The horizontal alignment tends to eject chips better. Check the tail stock travel to make sure it will drill the depth of hole you need.

Tip: Hold the brass tube against the drill bit and mark with a sharpie. When the mark disappears inside the blank, the hole is deep enough. If the drill bit doesn't spin, the mark is easy to see.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bob, my Jet and my CarbaTec only have threads for the collet chuck at the headstock. Accordingly, when I drill on the lathe, My MT Jacobs chuck goes on the tailstock. Like Randy mentioned, the drill bit not turning makes it easier to tell when you have drilled to the correct depth.

Top Bottom