Drill Chuck ?"s

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, maybe the wrong forum but this is my ? I just bought a nice drill chuck with matching arbor. oh and I'm a very new turner so go easy on the stupid ? The arbor and drill chuck are only taper fit, I've seen them with tread on arbors, I want to use this in my lathe tail stock and is pressure enough to do this and do it safe??? or should a treaded drill chuck and arbor be used??? Thank everyone who helps us newbies out all the time, LandfillLumber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjackman

Should be just fine in the tailstock. No turning happening there, just stuck, stationary in the tailstock while the headstock rotates the blank.
If you plan to use it in the headstock, yes you should use a drawbar or keep at least minimal pressure on it from your tailstock end.

Rifleman1776

It isn't pressure that holds the taper, it's friction of the tapered inner and outer parts. But, for some chucks a draw bolt/bar can be a good idea. Make sure your tapers are clean and decide what works for you.

bjackman

Yes, I would assume drawbar and drawbolt are the same thing. Goes throught he headstock/tailstock threads into the female threaded end of a morse taper tool and holds it in place, correct?
Since your headstock doesn't have a through hole, I would hesitate using the chuck in your headstock unless you keep whatever you're holding supported with the tailstock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom