Drill Bits for these kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

airrat

I have been using a 1/2" drill bit for the Jr. Gent, Jr. Stateman and such. Now I see CSUSA has changed their instructions to 12.5mm. What are you using to drill those kits? I still have my instructions from before showing the 1/2" as the drill bit. Is CSUSA changing the brass size or just the instructions to get new turners to buy their "custom 12.5mm bit"?

Another one is the Panache, 1/2" or 12.5mm. I just drilled a hole in a cutoff and the brass fits very well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beamer

Or the other way around. Since 12.5mm is 0.492125984 inches, i'm not sure that .008" is goiong to give you much trouble. Thick CA will span that gap no problem.

airrat

Yeah I checked my 1/2'. It was 12.677mm.

Hey Niles tell CSUSA that putting the 12.5mm in the instructions and catalog is a CHEAP move to get $7 out of people, when it was in the instructions as 1/2".

I glued it up with thick CA. Its funny that even drilling with the 1/2" the brass fits the same as the bottom brass.

loglugger

I was dumb enough to order the .49 bit for the flashlight kits I was making last year and they sent me a ½ bit. Don’t remember where it was but I have lots of ½ already. I am with Frank on this drill bit crap.
Bob.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Let's see. We buy lathes, sharpening tools, lathe tools, expensive polishes, CA in huge amounts, often over-priced wood, chainsaws to cut our own wood, computers to talk to fellow pen-turners online, digital cameras to take pictures of our pens to share online, bandsaws, dust collectors, tablesaws, drill presses, miter saws, and who knows who knows what else to reduce perfectly good wood to saw dust, and then we decide that drills are a conspiracy. If so, it is definitely (spelled correctly!) only a tiny tip of the iceberg of our expenses.

If drill sizes bother you so much, don't buy kits that require unusual drill sizes.

FWIW,

airrat

William you didn't read the origional post very well did you?

Go back and look at it again and then look at your old instructions for those kits. The problem is CSUSA is getting greedy and taking the same kit from last year and changing the drill bit size to a custom bit yet the kit is the same. Was there any reason for that? If so why dont they explain it in the catalog or instructions?

Daniel

I've also seen many comments where someone has drilled with the recommended bit and then thought the fit was to loose. this could also be CSUSA correcting that. I'm with William. I've put so much money into penturning I will never break even. It is annoying to have to buy some really odd bit but only when I am broke. otherwise it is only annoying when I don't notice I need it and have to place anouther order for it.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by airrat
<br />William you didn't read the origional post very well did you?

Go back and look at it again and then look at your old instructions for those kits. The problem is CSUSA is getting greedy and taking the same kit from last year and changing the drill bit size to a custom bit yet the kit is the same. Was there any reason for that? If so why dont they explain it in the catalog or instructions?

Thomas, thanks so very much for the reading lesson. I thought, perhaps in error, that readers of this thread could see that others had expanded the original post to include some mentions of drill sizes in general. If you in turn, read all of the posts on this thread, you should be able to figure out why I posted as I did. Feel free to indict Frank, Loglugger, GBusardo and I for hijacking your thread, that is within reason. My reading skills, or lack thereof, should be left out of the discussion.

airrat

William I started the thread and the complaint. Therefore, if your comment was not directed at the origional poster then maybe you want to "direct" it where you inteded it to go. Then there would not be an issue of someone else thinking you are directing it at them.

I will not continue a pissing issue with you. I do not come to this site for that, corrected grammer, spelling or anything other then penturning.

wdcav1952

Thomas, you say I can't read, and should only post on topic to your posts, and I am the one starting a pissing contest? I am sorry if you don't like off topic posts, but Dude they happen on every forum.

Take a chill pill and post again later. Since you started the cyber insults, feel free to continue them if you wish, I'm out of here on this subject.

Firefyter-emt

Personaly I have a nice metric set in full & half sizes and use that kit for basicly every kit. Measure the brass and select the bit. If you really want a laugh, take something solid like corian, and drill holes with your bits and then measure them. 1/2" or 12.5 ??? I wish my bits were that close to the proper size!

nilsatcraft

Let me assure you that we did not change the size of the recommended bit to try to make more money. Contrary to popular belief, drill bits don't make us much money at all. We had several penturners (many who participate here) complain that the 1/2" was too loose so we looked for a bit that was closer to the actual O.D. of the tube. That's when we decided to go with the 12.5mm. Like others have mentioned, a 1/2" works fine- it just needs a little more glue. You can use either but the 12.5mm is really the best fitted drill bit for the Jr. series of pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom